PBAs in/as music education and other non ‘academic’ learning

As I’ve read people’s responses over the week, I’ve  been reflecting on how… natural… PBAs seem to me.Then I realized – in my youth, I trained in classical music for 13 years. I’m sure that *lots* of us took music lessons. Classical music education has historically and continues to be about learning repertoire (in addition to technique… scales and such). Through learning a given piece of music, one develops and demonstrates skills in a wide variety of musical competencies. Our teachers, adjudicators and examiners listen for these skills – and overall performance – in assessing our performances. PBA at its best!

As I’m writing, looking at my sewing machine, I realize that my learning in sewing is also all product-based (though mercifully not assessed! I’m self-taught.). A student would not be asked to demonstrate his/her proficiency in attaching a button on a random piece of fabric; rather, it would be assessed within the context of the product – the finished garment. PBA.

It therefore strikes me that PBA is a quite old method of teaching, learning and assessing, usually associated with non-academic learning. Indeed, within the broad landscape of teaching and learning – from the kitchen table to music lessons to formal and informal apprenticeships – the test-based assessment most often associated with academic schooling appears to be the exception or the outlier, not the rule.

Posted in: Week 10: Product-Based Assessments