Evernote

Done with the presentation?  Check out the activity!

8 comments on “Evernote
  1. Terri S says:

A former co-worker of mine used this platform to gather research for his business topic book. He absolutely swears by it since he was able to research when and on what device he chose at a particular time, and flushed with success he is now writing his second book. – Terri

2. davidp says:

Evernote is winner for me.

I’ve been using it since 2008 and got an email that I was user number 46,694 of 65,000,000+ in July 2013 when Evernote celebrated its 5-year anniversary.

I use it daily to clip web pages and links sent to me, or mined from Twitter. I build the narrative for many of my presentations from the research I collect using Evernote. Its recent addition of a “page camera” that works with Moleskine notebooks is a bonus feature that I’ve begun to use.

The capability of the application for clipping, tagging and digitizing text from images to make every Evernote note highly searchable is a unique and highly valuable feature of the application for me.

3. psweeze says:

I just recently started to use it as I was having difficulty finding a good webclipping tool, organizational tool, and cloud based service. This has been a game changer for me, and since I’ve recently started traveling a lot and having the premium account where I can access all my notebooks offline while on the road is amazing.
    I was trying to use a mishmash of diigo, skydrive and mac notes, but this just takes care of everything. One aspect I find really intriguing is the shared notebook. I’ve yet to implement it with anyone other then my tech savvy girlfriend, but would love to try groupwork with this platform someday.
    I think it would almost work better then paid apps like 37 signals basecamp if you set it up correctly.

4. John Lee says:

I have toyed with Evernote on and off for the past several years. In that time, I’ve read a multitude of articles aimed at people who “just don’t get it”. People who use Evernote, love Evernote. Every time I came back to it, I wanted to love it too, but just couldn’t get into it.

This last time, I read an article that said in order to truly appreciate Evernote, you had to fully commit to it; really immerse yourself in making a million notebooks and using tags and clipping all relevant items. I’ve tried to be a bit more serious with it, and use it to collect information for Assignment 1. It definitely is proving its value.

• davidp says:

Hi John. here’s a tip I found on Lifehacker.com…

Instead of collecting notebooks, just let Evernote be one big stream of consciousness. The amazing search features of the app make it easy to finds clipped articles.

I found that when I didn’t have to make a decision about sorting notebooks, that Evernote became a more fluid part of my personal and research workflow.

In my daily stream you can find recipes, research reports, fly-fishing articles, outdoor gear reviews and infographics. Because every word is indexed, even words within graphics, it makes the stuff I’m looking for easy to retrieve.

5. aadair says:

So David it sounds like you just clip away, and use tags to find your clips, rather than make notebooks for everything?

I have musing about the difference between this app and Pinterest, and it seems to come down to the way information is shared. Pinterest has that altruistic quality of attempting to pull out the ‘best of’ certain topics and pooling it into a refined search engine for other users. This search engine makes Pinterest ‘addictive’, while Evernote seems to be a tool less likely to distract us from our working lives. As the article I posted on the activities page suggests, Evernote’s humility, though it may offer a wider range of useful and professional applications, could be its downfall in the cloud market.

6. jasonharbor says:

I use Evernote extensively. I really appreciate the fact that it is available as both a web-based and app-based tool. Even better, if I don’t have my device with me I can e-mail a note to myself!

I rarely tag, but have a significant number of notebooks and sub-notebooks to organize. I find this fits my personal organizational structure.