Linking with Anneke Nussbaum

ANNEKE’S TASK #4 BLOG POST

MY COMMENT ON HER POST

Hi Anneke!

I loved reading your reflection! Your description on the difference between something being “hand-made” or “hand-crafted” rather than being marketed as done by “manual labour” is what really got me! The implications between something made by a craftsperson as opposed to “menial grunt work” is unfortunately true. I had never thought of it that way and it makes a lot of sense – the power of language!

I was a fan of your calligraphy video; I love watching people write in calligraphy! However, I was also intrigued by your description and demonstrations of the Nebo and Notability apps! I would love to try those someday! I used to have an iPad – before I cracked and fixed too many times to the point of unusable ???? – and had tried my hand at writing and/or drawing in the Notes app. However, I did not use a designated iPad stylus; I basically used those rubber tips that were on the top of a regular ink pen. It was the precursor to the current styluses, however, I never quite got a feel for it.

Do you find that using a stylus for your Nebo and/or Notability apps give or emulate a “regular” notebook writing experience? Do you find that it’s different, and in a good way?

I also wonder how this would be in a classroom setting. Do you think students would benefit from using a stylus to write on an iPad; to help them engage in technology; while learning to write and save on paper?

Thanks for a great post!

MY SUMMARY AND REFLECTION

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Anneke’s post! (She is also another friendly name I recognized from a past MET course). I thought her outside of the box thinking to engage in manual text was great! She made a conscious effort to think about what “manual” truly meant and it was thought-provoking to see her analysis on the difference in language – “hand-crafted” versus “manual labour”. The connotations between the words have affected how we think of it in other contexts!

It was interesting to see how she tried out the different forms of “manual text” and reflected on the processes she went through. I am now wondering if this is something to perhaps integrate into my classroom; using a stylus to create digital text. As a Kindergarten teacher who is trying to teach children how to use proper pencil grip, and put the right amount of pressure when writing with a pencil, I wonder if this would be detrimental to their overall fine motor and development in writing; if they were to use a stylus in the early years? Perhaps this is something meant for older grades!