Linking with Victoria Cameron

VICTORIA’S TASK #5 BLOG POST

MY COMMENT ON HER POST

Hi Victoria,

Your Twine story was great and it’s such an effective tool for older students! I also took the Digital Games course this past summer and saw how Twine could purposefully involve student learning!

I could also really hear your voice throughout the story, even if it was just text! The interactive nature of Twine adds to the overall storytelling. I noticed and appreciated the double clicking of the word “HUFF” in the story; creating that effect of the wolf’s effort to blow the house down. If it wasn’t on purpose, then a suggestion for next time ????!

Using Lucidchart to map out your ideas was also an efficient and creative way to organize your thoughts! I need to make note of this if I ever use Twine with my students. I’m yet to explore it myself and now I currently teach Kinders, so Twine is not quite at their level ????.

Thanks for a great Twine story!

MY SUMMARY AND REFLECTION

Victoria’s Twine story was an effective and simple way to show how Twine could be used in an educational setting! It is fun and interactive – perfect engagement strategies! I enjoyed her Twine story and appreciated her effort to add humour and take poetic licence with the story. This could certainly be a perfect way to model the application to students; when introducing Twine; and perhaps through a storytelling unit.

In a previous MET course, I had worked in a group that used Twine to present learning; however, others were more versed and that task was delegated to them. And as mentioned in my comment to Victoria, I saw how it can be used in a gaming environment to help learning; through our Digital Games course in the summer. I’m yet to explore Twine myself, but truly think that students can benefit from it! The interactive nature of it imbeds the learning, in particular the curricular competencies that student need to build on.

Furthermore, Victoria’s idea of mapping out thoughts and ideas first, using another application such as Lucidchart, could further build on student learning and skills. What I appreciate the most about Twine is that it could truly be anything that students want it to be; there is student agency and educators want that in the classroom! However, it can often be difficult when trying to guide learning, therefore Twine, I believe, is a great tool for this!