Task 1: What’s in your Bag?

Note: Due to file size limits, I was unable to embed my video response directly into this blog-post. Please right-click HERE and select “open link in new window” to be directed to the video response hosted by Canvas.

Items in my bag:

• printed copy of my teaching schedule for the current school-year (2021-2022)
  • pencil case filled with multicolored felt tip fineliners
  • eyeglasses case with a pair of glasses inside
  • large planner, open to the first week of September
  • paperback novel (Anne Rice’s “The Witching Hour)
  • headphones
  • pack of gum
  • tub of strawberry lip-gloss and a half-melted Chapstick
  • keyring with:
    • attached cardholder containing a credit card, debit card, driver’s license, vaccination card, and Costco membership card
    • one house key
    • decorative “A” for Angela
    • mini Save-on-More card and Canadian Tire points card
    • metal charity coin for shopping carts from the BC Children’s Hospital
  • NOT PICTURED: my cellphone, which is being used to take the photo

My Responses: 

Well, I recorded a lovely (albeit long) video going through each of these items, however, WordPress has a file upload limit of 20mb which I made the mistake of discovering only after recording the video. After an hour and a half of trying to split the video into smaller segments to post, and getting increasingly frustrated, I found a workaround by posting it directly into Canvas and then linking that video web-address here. You can watch that video by right-clicking THIS link and selecting “open link in new window” – this will allow you to have the video open in one window while also viewing the image of the items in this window.

Questions to consider: 

•  What is your daily need for the items in your bag?
  • How might these items be considered “texts” and what do they say about you, the places you inhabit, the cultures with which you engage, and/or the activities you take up?
  • Thinking about the title of the course, what are the “text technologies” in your bag, if any? What do these items say about how you engage with language and communication?
  • What do the items in your bag say about the literacies you have?
  • How does the narrative of the (private) contents of your bag compare with the narrative produced by image you have of yourself or the image you outwardly project?
  • What would this same bag have looked like, say, 15 or 25 years ago?
  • How do you imagine an archeologist aiming to understand this temporal period might view the contents of your bag many years in the future?