[2.3]

Below are my initial comments on Boroditsky (2017) video. CLAS was an awesome tool for taking notes, it allowed me to record all my thoughts in a logical order and without worry that I will forget what part of the video they were from (in case I need to go back).

I found her conversation on language and our relationship with language very interesting. I come from a biological psychology background, so much of what she talks about really speaks to me. This reminded of my a video I watched recently about a scientist explain a new concept in neuroscience called “connectom” to people of distinct ages and understanding. You observe the scientist tell the same story in different words to convey understanding. This is an example of how powerful language can be when you can speak the same language as someone. Hence, the conversation you have about neuroscience with a 5 year old versus a neuroscience grad student will differ greatly in meaning. The same way “UX” means a lot to me, but meaningless to the majority of people in the world.

Boroditsky, L. (2011). How language shapes thoughtScientific American, 304(2), 62-65.

Boroditsky, L. (June 2017). [Video]. How the languages we speak shape the way we think.