Text Technologies: The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing | 64B

Task 4: Manual Script

Do you normally write by hand or type? Did you find this task difficult or easy? Explain.

I do not normally write by hand, almost all of my communication is digital, thus I write by typing. I still found this to be an easy task because the majority of manual writing I engage in is to journal, or while filling out patient forms at a doctors office. However, in both instances I do experience hand cramping and tiredness. This feeling started about a year after I graduated from my UX/UI diploma program, so it is due to a lack of practice. This really goes to show that if you do not practice skills, as basic as they may be (writing), you can easily lose these skills! 

What did you do when you made a mistake or wanted to change your writing? How did you edit your work? Did your choice of media play a part in how you edited your work?

I did make a couple mistakes, and I choose to just write over them. If this assignment was more formal, I would have either used white-out or erased the mistakes so that my writing is clear to the user. 

What do you feel is the most significant difference between writing by hand and using mechanized forms of writing? Which do you prefer and why?

I believe the biggest difference between the two is how our brain and physical body carry out the actions. Both forms of writing require distinct motor neuron activity in the brain, and still require skill (Bolter, 2001). As Bolter (2001) suggests, all cultures change and evolve in different ways, and communication is at the forefront of all this change. Each particular society will have its own particular set of demands and needs, the people who make up this society will dictate how they will meet these needs. 

Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print [2nd edition]. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

« »