7 thoughts on “Task 5: Twine Task

1. Ev Tsang

Hey David, if only we could ask “what if” and try again! Nice use of the replacement of the punctuation at the end of the story.
    I noticed that you used the return icon; this is great for going back on a decision ???? For a class of students, would you allow them to “take back” a decision, or have them continue to follow the consequences?

1. dloti Post author

Thank you for your response, Ev. (Or do you prefer Evelyne?) Honestly I did not realize we could bypass the undo button. It looks like it is possible through CSS though. Is CSS how you did it on your project? If I were to complete this again I would eliminate the undo.

2. Katherine

Hi David. I enjoyed your story. Curious if you would use Twine with your students? I thought the format is a great way for students to express and explore those kind of “what if” questions on so many topics… Alberta Social Studies curriculum has a large section of “Values and Attitudes” outcomes that can be hard to authentically assess, while not “judging” a student’s values. I think the twine format would be a great way for students to show they can understand and appreciate connections between decisions and consequences, without revealing their actual preferences, but Twine took me a LONG time to figure out. The tags and adding images was not easy for me. I can’t imagine trying to get my students (grade 10) to do it unless it was a major course focus with a lot of time dedicated to it. I used a Mac version, so not sure how it works on other operating systems. I would totally use it if the formatting was word processor style, highlight and hit a button for stylizing the text, and an easy insert image dialogue. But I suppose it’s a very niche market for this sort of writing and tool, so perhaps not enough capital to invest in more coding of the interface.
    Sorry, rambling a bit of my thoughts for the linking post!
    Cheers,
    Katherine

1. dloti Post author

Hello Katherine, Thank you for your messages. Although I am not currently teaching I could envision using Twine in a classroom though I share your concern that Twine requires an investment to learn how to use the tool. Your idea of making connections between actions and results in a social studies context makes sense. I could also see Twine working well in a creative writing class or perhaps for an ongoing creative project or presentation across months. Also I’m glad my bombastic title piqued your interest!

3. philip barrington

Hello David,

I showed this game to one of my colleagues and he is using it as a choose your adventure assignment for a short story assignment. I enjoyed your Twine story and really liked the ending of your story.