Linking Assignment #2: Potato Printing with Elvio

For this linking assignment, I have chosen to reflect on Elvio’s potato printing adventure. You can link to his assignment here. Similar to Elvio, I completed this task with my kids; it made the task fun, we learned together and when we finished we had multiple stamps that the kids could use in new and exciting ways. Because of the way we both approached this task with our families it afforded us the opportunity to relax (Elvio says therapeutic) and this was a refreshing change from the everyday hectic life of a working masters student who has to parent as well. 

Through Elvio’s reflection, I can hear the traits of a great teacher: “ approached with humor and errors”, learning from mistakes (mirroring and deep cuts) and recognizing lessons learned (should have planned). I appreciate that he shared all of his mistakes without reservation so that others can learn from them.

I also appreciated that in Elvio’s post, he included a section on how he would include this lesson in his teaching practice. I am a science teacher and I struggled to see how this could be implemented beyond an elementary art project, but Elvio wonderfully links this project to the history of the Renaissance.

I really enjoyed reading Elvio’s thoughts and struggles relating to this task.