Linking Assignment #4: Mode Bending with Erin

For this linking assignment, I watched Erin Duchesne’s Tik Tok video for “what’s in her bag”. You can link to her Tik Tok here. Erin created an engaging multimodal video that utilized background music, voice over, text and visuals. I choose to link Erin’s task for a number of reasons: 

1.  I am not yet on Tik Tok, but it is a social media site that I am curious about joining. Personally, I find that I already waste too much time on Facebook and Instagram, so adding an additional social media site worries me. However, as Erin states Tik Tok is used around the world to create both entertainment and educational content, perhaps it is a medium that I should investigate further. Erin was smart to use this assignment to dive deeper into the features afforded on this platform. 
  2. Erin’s Tik Tok shared the same modalities that I used in my iMovie: background music, voice-overs, text and visuals, however I preferred her clean and organized format to my clunky, disjointed iMovie. 
  3. Erin references that mode-bending was a great exercise to get us out of our comfort zones and I would agree. In the absence of this task, I would never have learned to create an iMovie and Erin would not have had the time to pursue different formatting options available in TikTok. I will admit that Erin’s post was a bit more positive than mine and she appears more willing to try to make another TikTok than I am willing to make another iMovie.