Task 5 – Twine Task

Link to my story: The Last Ones

How to access the story: Right click on the link → Copy link address → Open a new tab → Paste the link →  Story should appear. (Unfortunately, I could not get the link to work by left clicking only).

Reflection

This was my first time using Twine so my game/story is evidently not the best one, but the process of creating it was super intuitive! My initial thought when looking at the application is that it reminds me of story mode based games or Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) games where the users follow along a storyline and are asked to solve a puzzle, save someone, or etc. When brainstorming some ideas to create my story I wanted to create a similar feel where the reader are immersed into a storyline through a first person point of view and along the way are provided options to customize how they want to approach the story.

How would I improve my story?

There are many elements of my story that I can definitely improve on. For one adding multimedia features such as images, animations, and maybe even sound to give users a more engaging experience. The advancement of technology today allows stories to be told in many different forms including podcasts, movies, illustrations, and so on (Bolter, 2001). While I do enjoy reading stories written only in text to allow my imagination and creativity visualize the story in my mind, this medium provides many features to add a dynamic feel in storytelling which is something I should take advantage of. Second, I noticed when I finished creating my artifact that it was structured more of a story rather than a game. To improve in that aspect I would add in more gaming elements such as a point system every time the user solves a challenge correctly, puzzles, and perhaps a timed based mini-game.

References:

Bolter, J. D. (2001). Writing Space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. Mahway, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 77-98.