Link #6

Link #6 – James Martin

Linking to James Martin’s Task #7: https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540jamesmartin/2021/10/24/task-7-mode-bending/

When I came across James Martin’s mode-bending task, I was blown away. What a creative, interactive way to present the information from the bag task! Jame emojified each of the items from his bag and added two types of audio: a voice sharing the name of the item, as well as sounds effects that are made by the items. James went above and beyond with this task. The audio provided snap shots of his day through the use of the items. The items even had different sound effects depending on how the item was used at different times of the day. Because he displayed the emojified items on a grid with times of day at the top, the user was able to get a glimpse into a day in his life, as well as when/what the items were used for. The user was able to interact with the objects in any order and make meaning from the images and sounds. 

James was able to convey so much meaning without any text, and the audio added more detail than I thought it could. I feel like I learned a lot about both his public and private life through this presentation and I had fun “reading” the text he created. I, on the other hand, chose a completely different way of completing this task. I changed the semiotic mode and created a spoken word poem. While I had a primarily audio component, my audio was based on a text script. This was very different from James’ audio which was based on sounds. Both of our mode-bending tasks, however, allowed the user to experience audio in different ways and created meaning that was an extended, deeper conversation with the user compared to the original task.