Task 7: Mode Bending

Welcome to my redesign of Task 1: What’s in My Bag!

For this task I struggled quite a bit to figure out how to remake this Task1 using audio but taking into consideration the 6 elements of design (Linguistic, Visual, Audio, Gestural, Spatial, and Multi-modal) – I became quite stumped.

During COVID I have learned how to use very basic movie making programs, for my church, which allowed me to incorporate some of these elements, at a very basic level, into this little project. 

Similar to the Twine task, my mind began to immediately connect with the previous text and think jump around from one idea to the next. After teaching grade 8 ELA for the last number of years the understanding that literacy is not just reading and writing really hit home for me. I love that literacy is in absolutely everything we do, say, hear, understand, and create. But also the importance to teacher multi-literacy skills in order to understand and decode the world around us.

There were many design elements I would have liked to include in my video with sound effects, or specific camera zooms/angles to really engage the viewers – however, with my limited skills in this department it became quite challenging to add those features in. The process of simply adding the audio to match the visual was quite time-consuming in itself. I did enjoy, however, the process, the layering, and the meaning-making that the multi-modes added to the simple artifacts of my bag.

4 thoughts on “Task 7: Mode Bending

1. Heidi,

I enjoyed watching your video! I compared your video to your original post, and I can I see how you incorporated the different elements. I struggled with how to incorporate gestural into my task, so I thought your idea of zooming in and out was awesome. I think it worked well to add a gestural element to your presentation.

My approach to this task was different than yours. I was hung up on how the assignment description said to redesign it so that it is presented in audio form but avoid simply narrating the objects. I was initially going to take the image like you did and incorporate different elements by narrating the objects, zooming in and out, etc. After contemplating how I wanted to approach this ask, I decided to forgo verbal description of the objects. I also decided I will not use the image. Instead, I handled each object so that the “auditory” element came from the sound each object made instead. To describe each object, I opted to using captions. My approach to the gestural was a bit different. Instead of zooming in and out, I reframed the approach and filmed myself handling each item so that I can lift them up and move them around. I felt that doing that would add dimensions to the experience; I did this because I had oral storytelling in mind. I also wanted to use how I handle the objects to reflect my personality and attitude.

Thanks for sharing your bag! I love the way you organized it into three sections. You are so organized! 🙂 I didn’t have any hygiene items in my pockets. 🙂

Chris Lam