Task 7: Mode-Bending

Play on itch.io (may take some time to load; may not work properly for all browsers and devices): https://etec565sdruids.itch.io/mode-bending-whats-in-my-bag

OR

Download to run on your computer: click here to download

(please note that you will likely need to scroll left-right and up-down on your device to access all parts of this multimodal work)

To begin this project, I started by thinking about the original purpose of the “What’s In My Bag” task: presenting the private contents of my bag in order to “implicitly prompt the viewer to begin to construct a narrative about” me. The original task was entirely visual, with the contents of the photograph taking on the roles of texts to be interpreted by the viewer.

In shifting modes, I wanted to see if I could re-imagine the ideas behind the intent of the original project without relying on the core visual element (and without re-introducing written language text… trying to convey meaning without any written language was a fun challenge from the previous task that I wanted to explore again here). I decided that I would represent the original images through emoji. To lend further context to each object/representation, and to redesign the original “glimpse of my private life” aspect, I created audio clips meant to represent a combination of audio “snapshots” of my day and internal monologues made audible. To tie these audio clips to the emoji that represented the objects in my bag, I created an interface using Twine that the user can freely interact with to freely explore each object/sound combination in any order.

To organize these connections between digital pictographic symbols and audio clips, I introduced another Available Design that also allowed me to lend additional weight to the “glimpse of my private life” aspect of the design: the literacy or “grammar” of a cartesian plane-style timeline (New London Group, 1996). With the x-axis labelled by time (using emoji that call upon the additional literacy of reading the face of an analogue clock), I was able to represent and chart each item’s use or uses to specific times in the day. In cases where an item is used more than once, this created opportunities for me to connect multiple audio clips for the different instances of each item’s use, creating additional context for the user as they use the representation of these items construct their understanding of who I am.

The presentation of this timeline of emoji in a html file produced in twine invites the user to click on linked elements in the hypertext interface to interact with the “text” in an order of their own choosing. In this way, the use of Twine and html helps to “create patterns of meaning that are more or less predictable in their contexts” (p.22), as the medium inherently suggests the active interactivity of the user that is required to “read” the text, rather than a more passive form of consumption.

The biggest challenge I encountered when working on this task was ensuring that the organization of emoji stayed spatially organized relative to each other so as to not disrupt the precision necessary for the grid-coordinates system, which is important for that element to maintain its meaning. Originally I used pairs of emojis (and colour coding) to construct concepts such as “wallet” (credit card + folder) that do not have an obvious representation in the emoji character set, but I soon found that the thin columns that the grid is made from would often force the second character  “wrap” down to the next line of text, displacing every other symbol in the column below.

A screenshot of an early version of this task while it was in progress. In the 12:30 column, the laptop+charger character pair, dog+poop character pair, and coffee+barrel(mug) character pair are experiencing text wrapping that I did not desire. The black-line emoji seemed to address this issue, but it persisted after later design changes. The black line emoji were retained as they helped to reinforce the grid-like nature that was desired for the visual presentation.

The New London Group. (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. (Links to an external site.) Harvard Educational Review 66(1), 60-92.

Read 4 comments

1. Hi James – Wow! This is amazing! I really appreciate how you imagined then created this interactive interface, especially using emojis. The way you used emojis for objects that are given an audio ‘definition’ on your x-axis is a fantastic idea. In our earlier ‘Emoji story’ task, I struggled to use emojis well, and I’m inspired by how you’ve made these emojis more understandable by creating a sort of ‘index’ that the user can use. It took me a few minutes to figure out what I was supposed to with your grid and emojis when I first opened your file, but I really think you’ve turned the original ‘what’s in your bag’ task upside down, not just with genre and mode, but also by demonstrating your advanced Twine skills! I had no idea that Twine could function like this. I took the Summer ETEC 365 course at the same time you did, and I remember your group’s Druid twine story still! Great work for both tasks, and thanks for the inspirations!
    Delian

• Thanks Delian! I was on the fence about whether to include the “definitions” index or to just leave that to be inferred by the user based on context, so I’m glad to hear that they added value. I’ve had a lot of fun continuing to explore Twine since the Summer Games Institute, and luckily some tricks I learned about how to use audio more extensively in Twine came in handy for this one. Thanks for the feedback!

2. This is soooo amazing!! I love how you were able to share so much information about yourself through the use of emojis and sound effects on a daily timeline. The fact that the item emojis make different sounds depending on how the item is used in your day tell the user so much, as does the time the item is used at. I loved the interactivity and creativity!