Task 8: Golden Record Curation Assignment

This task was very difficult for me, as I kept hearing  Rumsey’s (2017) words in my head, “How do we reflect process of history making?”. One of the considerations that helped me to decide what to keep, was which songs on the Golden Record could give future listeners a glimpse into our imagination (Rumsey, 2017). When choosing songs that I felt could accomplish this feat, I tried to choose pieces that pushed boundaries musically, or ones that used different musical modes. My second thought, when choosing what songs to keep, was that I should select songs with different contexts. Although all music is composed within a certain context, I picked songs that displayed rights of passage or roused people for significant events, like battles. Because I could only pick 10 songs to go on the record, and I wanted to steer away from depicting a monoculture (Rumsey, 2017), I also tried to include music that belonged to communities, such as Indigenous and folk music  songs. Although I chose my final list with the the three categories in mind, I was also aware that all of these songs belong to overlapping groups, making the process more complicated. 

Here is my (not so confidently chosen) list of the songs that will stay on the Golden Record:

Category #1: Imagination

Category #2: Contexts

Category #3 Communities

Brown University. (2017, July 11). Abby Smith Rumsey: “Digital Memory: What Can We Afford to Lose?” [Video] YouTube. https://youtu.be/FBrahqg9ZMc