June 2022

[6.4] An Emoji Story

We are immersed in a hypermedia world with constant bombardment of visuals on our screen (Kress, 2005). Emojis influence our digital communication, thus it is no surprise that the word ‘emoji’ was named the word of the year in 2015 by the Oxford English Dictionary (Bai, et al.  2019)  So it would seem simple or second nature to be able to translate our ideas using pictorial representations. This was not the case for this reverse ekphrasis task where the emojis are used to explain the words (Bolter 2001). I found it challenging to find the appropriate emojis to accurately describe the title of the movie and had a strong reliance on text to help convey the message. In my multimodal space, the use of emojis for my personal communication is to enhance the conversation and add emotional value, not to replace the words themselves, so finding icons to match my words was limiting. In this regard, Bolter (2001) suggests that “picture writing lacks narrative power.” 

Breaking down the task itself, I began with the title of the movie which [hint] was a verb itself. Even though there was a diverse collection of emojis, being able to depict the action using the icons was restrictive, each one emoji could have multiple meanings but not one corresponded with the word completely. Furthermore, I used the number of syllables in the single-word title to decide the number of emojis used. After looking up the definition of the title, I carefully scoured through the selection of emojis to determine the most suitable options, not completely satisfied with the result. For the other half of the task,  the use of emojis to describe the plot was more open ended and left to ambiguous interpretation for the reader (Bai, et al. 2019). Following the conventions of reading, I thought of the logical flow and began choosing the images to represent the sequential storyline. This method  was less effective in conveying the semantic meanings in the plot as it provided a gross generalization rather than honing in on the details. The  specificity of written language allows for a precise description whereas the emojis often lacked the subtle nuances when adjectives play a large role. The clarity of the message using emojis may get lost in translation and allows for multiple interpretations. Let’s see what the responses will bring! (Answer is below) 

Bai, et al. (2019) A Systematic Review of Emoji: Current Research and Future Perspectives. Frontiers in Psychology. Retrieved from https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02221/full

Chapter 4. Bolter, J. D. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed.). Mahwah, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. doi:10.4324/9781410600110

Kress (2005), Gains and losses: New forms of texts, knowledge, and learning. Computers and Composition, Vol. 2(1), 5-22.

Answer: Hustle

Plot: An American scout finds a talented basketball player in Spain hoping to bring him to America to become a basketball star in the NBA. 

[4.4] Potato Printing: Emily MacDougall

Linked to the post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540emilymacdougall/2022/06/09/task-4-potato-printing/

I was pleased to see that Emily had chosen the potato printing task as I opted for the first paper and pencil option for two main reasons: I did not have the materials readily available and the time consuming nature of having to carve out each individual letter (the perfectionist in me would have to redo it until it was suffice in being identical). Over the holidays, I have created very simple shapes on potato stamps for cards and wrapping paper, so the thought of having to carve out more complex letters was enough to deter me. I love how Emily included her children in the entire process, from choosing the letters to maneuvering them on the page. It would be a lesson in patience as it took 40 minutes to reproduce 10 painted letters  compared to the speed at which I am typing out this 100+ word response.  As Collier mentioned in “Upside Down, Left to Right: A Letterpress Film.”, with the onset of the mechanized forms, we can “change things in an instant” as opposed to having to redo the entire printing process, that of which Emily experienced with changing the direction of the “E” and “L” to make it legible. Furthermore, if we think about the process of remediation explained by Bolter (2001), the idea of ‘fonts’ and Emily’s use of only upper case letters come into mind. I have the ability to choose an array of fonts on my computer for the purpose of the task whereas Emily was limited to straight letters to ease the carving process. Once more, it is a reminder of how technology provides us with an immediate outcome by “accelerating the rate of information production” and an appreciation of how far mechanized forms have improved since Gutenberg’s printing press.

[5.4] Twine Task

Dani the Dino – Final Draft

Dani the Dino Adventures was a game designed as the final project for ETEC 565 by myself, Sara Cameron and Stephanie Carr. The intent behind the narrative based format game was to introduce Indigenous knowledge and teachings of values guided by the Seven Grandfather Teachings in Twine for a younger audience. Using an iterative design process, we brainstormed ideas to generate a mental prototype and used the game design template to layout the events, script and mechanics of the game. We input our ideas into Twine to program our mini adventure game. Over many late nights, our team adopted the game design strategy of ‘interrupt/modify/stop’ that produced many changes to our original idea in order to generate an outcome that far exceeded our expectations!

In terms of Twine, the hypertextual structure was attractive for our non-programming background and coincided with our storytelling strengths as primary teachers. As Bolter (2001) explains about hypertext in relation to Twine, the individual passages contributed to the entire plot of the story and eventually became a ‘network of interconnected writings’. The structure of the text was designed such that there was both hierarchical and associative thinking that existed through links to individual storylines. Dani the Dino takes different paths to meet animals and learns about the seven teachings; they then return back to the puzzle wheel until they gather all the puzzle pieces (Bolter, 2001). One of the greatest challenges in the creation of the project was finding a method to input the voiceover of the main character. The voice was recorded by Stephanie and coded into Twine to correspond to the words on the page so that readers at all levels would be able to access the game through both audio and visuals. 

Chapter 3 of Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. New York, NY: Routledge.

[4.4] Manual Script

There has been an abundance of research on the positive benefits of writing in a journal to improve mental health (Ackerman, 2018). For this task, I wanted to try journaling by hand writing a page about gratitude. Personally, I prefer putting pen to paper as it was calming for my senses:  the crinkle of paper, the smoothness of the ink and the controlled movement of the strokes. Writing involves more of an investment in the process. When my mind was full of thoughts, I had to deliberately slow down to put all those ideas onto the page. Studies have shown the advantages of handwriting over typing such that “areas of the brain correlated with working memory and encoding new information were more active during handwriting.” and impacts the way we learn. (Jones, 2020). If there was a mistake on the page, I would simply cross it out and move on, leaving a mark of imperfection behind. Since it was a personal journal entry, it was not necessary to edit, rather to continue on with my reflection as my feelings became clearer. If it were in a mechanized form, I would keep reassessing my work and lose the authenticity of my initial emotions. The obvious drawback is the time consuming nature of writing over mechanized forms. 

Ackerman, C.E. (2018, May 14) 83 Benefits for Journaling for Depression, Anxiety and Stress. Positivepsychology.com. Retrieved from: https://positivepsychology.com/benefits-of-journaling/

Gratitude Journal. Retrieved on June 5, 2022. Greater Good in Action. Retrieved from: https://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/gratitude_journal

Jones, A.M. (2020, October 4) New study suggests handwriting engages the brain more than typing. CTV News Health. Retrieved from: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/new-study-suggests-handwriting-engages-the-brain-more-than-typing-1.5132542

[1.7] What’s in your bag: Jocelyn Chan

Linked to post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/jocelync/task-1-whats-in-my-bag/

Aside from the fact that we share a name, this Jocelyn has integrated technology seamlessly into her everyday lifestyle-  and packs far lighter! While I can connect to the few essentials she included, I seem to take it to an excessive scale- my wallet contains at least 10 cards, my key chain has additional keys and I carry extra masks. Do I actually use these extra items daily? Not quite. Thus, I can appreciate Jocelyn’s minimal yet cautious approach and use of technology to downsize her lifestyle. 

I was captivated by the use of genial.ly to present the items in her pocket. It was the perfect tool for this task, taking it one step further  than the original Brown’s Bag project with the static photograph  by introducing this platform. It seemed to go naturally with her profession  in organizational development. Not only was it visually appealing, but the interactive interface  to select the items along with the description made it easier to focus on each individual artifact. It was another example of how she implemented technology to enhance and supplement her work. 

Jocelyn delved into the underlying literacies by defining terms, outlining its  history and analyzing  how they evolved over time. An immediate rush of memories came back when she mentioned the T9 predictive text technology on the older models of phones and how advanced that felt like at the time. Similarly, we have moved from clunky mobile phones to sleek smartphones with extra functionalities such as Internet access and hundreds of applications at our fingertips.  A search on the word ‘smartphone’ in the OED actually showed its first appearance in 1980 Telecommunications Policy to demonstrate how ‘telephones are enhanced with computer technology’ (Oxford University Press, 2021) Upon further examination of the compound word smart-phone, it becomes apparent that these two words combined are meant to attribute the human intellectual quality of being ‘smart’ (adj)  to an inanimate object, the ‘phone’. In doing so,  Berkowitz suggests in his episode  “…words that were used in the age before the computer and the internet now have additional meanings.” Now phones have enhanced capabilities with artificial intelligence such as voice assistance, that were once unheard of! These features have the ability to streamline everyday tasks to make our lives easier,  just as Jocelyn pointed out in the use of her phone as a wallet and key.

[3.4] Voice to Text

Recorded using dictation (voice-to-text) in Notes on the iPhone: A Birth Story for my Daughter
Oh my dear this is a story about the day that you were born and it wasn’t too long ago when you came into this big beautiful world and now you’re almost 2 months from the day was April 5, 2022 and mom going with the day that I was going to go into the hospital to be induced the morning of I called the hospital at 6 AM to see when I can come in to get started they said I could come in right away but I wasn’t ready yet because I had to get big sister Madeline already to go to daycare and make sure that she was settled with her grandparents so we went into the hospital around 8 AM me and your dad they were all packed and ready to stay for a few days because we weren’t sure what to expect but sure enough you were or you came in a timely manner to get started mommy got hooked up with lots of tubes and IVs to make sure that you came out safely and to get the contraction started it took a bit of waiting and I got really hungry in between but I wasn’t allowed to eat any solid food so all I ate was bone broth fast forward two hours later and the contraction started to come contractions are sharp pains in the belly area that tell me that you’re getting ready to come the doctors checked to see if I was ready to push and I wasn’t quite there yet I was only 2 cm and I need to go eight more centimetres before I could start pushing so we waited some more in the meantime dad and I walked around the room and watch the movies and we talk to one another around four hours later the contractions started to come closer and more painful that’s when Dad suggested that mom gets an epidural so that it wouldn’t hurt so much and that was it The best decision he made the anaesthesiologist came in and put a giant needle in my knees back it was a little painful and it felt like a bee sting but the after effect was wonderful that meant I couldn’t feel the pain as much as a contraction started to come closer together at this point it was mid afternoon around 2 PM and I told daddy to go home to see Madeline for a little bit because I was only still 3 cm dilated and your aunt Caroline was there to take over just as dad left the pain started to really come even though I had an epidural and guess what I was 9 cm and dad wasn’t there I was almost ready to push so we need you to call dad and he had to turn the car aroundAnd come right back he made it just in time for the delivery and you were amazing and three pushes you were out and you were absolutely perfect they gave you to mommy and we looked at each other for the first time you with your tiny cry and I knew right then and there that you were exactly who and where you needed to be

How does the text deviate from conventions of written English? What is “wrong” in the text? What is “right”?

Efficient, but inaccurate. Accessible, yet incoherent. This is my initial feedback while reading the unedited written version of my oral story. Writing has become a skill that requires the utilization of proper conventions to create a clear, concise piece of work. Other than correct spelling and application of some grammatical rules, the text was missing basic conventions including punctuation and capitalization which had a large impact on how the genre was perceived. These grammatically correct statements are derived from rules of natural language foremost and translated to text (Ong, 2002). The structure and arrangement of words were directly dictated into typed writing on my iPhone in Notes to generate one massive run-on sentence, which was morphologically intact but fell apart with the construction of sentences (syntax). As a result of the lack of structural constraints, it was challenging to make sense of what was read and difficult to follow along with the organization of thought. There were instances that my spoken words were misinterpreted, for example, it read the phrase ‘all ready’ as the adverb  ‘already’. As I read through, I also noticed errors as a result of pauses during speech which lead to an increased number of the word ‘and’ to try to connect thoughts together. 

What are the most common “mistakes” in the text and why do you consider them “mistakes”?

Since writing is considered itself to be a technology (Haas, 2013), it follows a set of technical rules in the English writing system. Gnanadesikan (2011) states that “writing is a transformation of language, a technology applied to language, not language itself.” This voice-to-text task did just that, by transforming my spoken story into a text version with aspects of my ideas that were lost in translation. More specifically, the absence of any punctuation and paragraphing disregarded the meaning of words and emphasis on certain elements of the story. Take for example, quotations in the text that assimilated with the body of the text that lost its purpose. The reader is unable to identify who is speaking in reference to the narrative. These mistakes enable the words to lose their value. Simply because the words are translated onto a  page does not mean that it inherently makes sense. In Gnanadesikan (2011) chapter “The First IT Revolution”, he speaks about writing systems and differentiates between language and speech. He further explains that writing is able to capture language but fails to include information about intonation and emotional content that is found in speech (p9). This is similar to the dichotomy of speech and writing presented by Plato in Haas (2013, p7) and holds true to the application of the voice-to-text software. 

What if you had “scripted” the story? What difference might that have made?

In Schmandt-Besserat (2009), “Origins and Forms of Writing”,  David Olsen makes the argument that our ability to reflect on ourselves is derived from writing, not speech. Having a scripted story would support this argument by  producing a more coherent and organized text with precision in the messaging (Gnanadesikan, 2011). A script would allow for a more thoughtful construction of words to communicate using language more effectively with succinct vocabulary. In my oral story example, it was easy to recall the main details of the day my daughter was born, however, when the task was complete there were many moments that I wanted to go back to add to. On the other hand, a scripted story may limit creativity and imagination rather than allowing the thought process to flow naturally in an unscripted, conversational manner. 

In what ways does oral storytelling differ from written storytelling? 

A translation of time into space. Gnanadesikan (2011) eloquently describes the process of writing and how the act itself has shaped our language. Written storytelling has the ability to transcend time and remain unchanged throughout history in its physical nature or ‘material’ form (Haas, 2013). A text, and all of its ideas, that was written hundreds of years ago is the same work that exists today. I believe there is also a sense of formality when comparing oral and written storytelling. To have your ideas written provides permanence whereas orally speaking is more transient, once the words are heard it can easily be forgotten. This connects to Gnanadesikan’s (2011) statement that “…writing is worth more than speech.” There is an art to storytelling, both oral and written, which uses languages to evoke emotions in various contexts and for different purposes. Ong (2002) elaborates on the origins of the word ‘rhetoric’ as speech art and how writing enhances oral speaking. Furthermore, Ong (2002) argues that “Writing can never dispense with orality” (p4). I think this is profoundly noticeable with respect to the integral role that oral storytelling has in Indigenous cultures to transmit information and their histories throughout generations. In an effort to keep their language alive, there must be a concerted effort amongst generations to share and teach one another through the spoken language and storytelling. In the CBC article (Hadley, 2019), this is applied to 21st century learners through an app to “carry Indigenous languages into the future”. Furthermore, oral storytelling is subject to the interpretation on the receiving end and requires a commitment to continue its legacy.

Gnanadesikan, A. E. (2011).“The First IT Revolution.” In The writing revolution: Cuneiform to the internet. (Vol. 25). John Wiley & Sons (pp. 1-10).

Hadley, A. (2019, January 11) New Indigenous language app targets ’21st century’ learners. CBC News. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/indigenous-language-app-1.4970376

Haas, C. (2013). “The Technology Question.” In Writing technology: Studies on the materiality of literacy. Routledge. (pp. 3-23).

Ong, W. (2002). Orality and literacy: The technologizing of the word. New York; London: Routledge.

Schmandt-Besserat, D. (2009). “Origins and Forms of Writing.” In Bazerman, C. (Ed.). Handbook of research on writing: History, society, school, individual, text. New York, NY: Routledge.