Link 2

Jennifer L’s Mode-Bending

I chose to reflect on Jennifer L’s Mode-Bending task because she’s done an amazing job portraying what is in her bag in a way that is relatable to people who enjoy video games, and at the same time possibly even attracted those that never seen this game before but are intrigued by this adorable short video. Meanwhile, I liked how Jennifer chose to present herself through a creative video along with calm and soothing music in the background. My mode-bending task focused primarily on sound (ASMR) and video for support, so in a way, I see how soothing background music and interesting video like Jennifer’s can be quite captivating. Jennifer created a different way to present her bag using a popular game called Animal Crossing, which is very popular among teenagers and young adults. Even though there were some limitations to what she can use to represent the items in her bag, she was able to find materials that look close enough to replace the original items. Jennifer was able to verbally explain her reasoning and what she used to overcome these small hiccups. Both Jennifer and I have focused on the auditory and visual components of how we want to present our literacy. In my opinion, I believe since both of us are teachers, we chose to focus on these two sensors because these two sensors greatly help students build experience and memory. Studies have shown, “only certain parts of the brain activate during learning” (Learn Through Experience, 2018), this is why hands-on and experiential learning that incorporate different senses are an effective way to connect with young and diverse learners.

Learn Through Experience. (2018). The Power of Context: Learning Through Your Senses. Retrieved from http://learnthroughexperience.org/blog/power-of-context-learning-through-senses/