Link 3

Jasmeet’s Emoji Story

When I saw the emoji title that Jasmeet used for her emoji story, I immediately thought of one of the most iconic plays Romeo & Juliet by Shakespeare. Jasmeet made an effort not to showcase the answer and even created a separate page for those that would like to double-check their guesses. I think the give away by Jasmeet was in the title of the page: An Emoji Love Story. Pairing this information along with the mask emoji for the theatrical play, I think the rest is given. Similar to Jasmeet, we both had questioned whether our emoji stories were clear enough to the viewers. The stories made sense in our minds but were it limited to only our mind because we were the creators of this emoji story. Jasmeet wrote, “Kress (2005) discusses, when reading media, we are involved in the reading of design, which explores many different aspects of the design illustrated (p. 19-20).” I believe I’ve used a similar phrase in my own blog. In this modern world, the information does not come to us in text form only. There is a wide array of exposure to global knowledge through videos, websites, magazine, newspapers, billboards, etc., and all of these now combine the use of text and image to strengthen their message. Using my classroom, for example, my students are now more attracted to reading graphic novels over chapter books without any images. It is not because they can’t read or they get bored by reading the text alone. But, it is because images to go along with texts make the story more appealing. We simply can’t be limited to one mode of expression anymore unless it is for a specific reason or purpose.

Kress, G. (2005), Gains and losses: New forms of texts, knowledge, and learning. Computers and Composition, Vol. 2(1), 5-22.