Task 1 – What’s In My Bag?

What’s in my bag? As you can see, not much. I like to keep things simple and minimize what I hold! Some of these items aren’t necessarily in my bag but are put into other bags that I use throughout the week. For example, the rugby ball is in my coaching bag but I thought it would be something I should share as it is a part of who I am. Apart from that, I carry my phone, keys, wallet, and maybe my UBC MET notebook or the book I am currently reading.

As previously mentioned, I like to keep things simple. However, these few items represent many of the important things in my life. My phone – like many others – is my connection to the world. It is the access to loved ones, the access to information, the access to entertainment, and so much more. The texts and technologies that the phone produce can vary infinitely. One moment, I may be listening to a podcast where thoughtful discussions are being transmitted directly into my ears. The next moment, I might be sending instant text messages to friends or family. I might be accessing information through various mediums while on the internet, or I might be expanding my knowledge and education by participating in active learning such as this very task. In contrast, I believe the importance of balance. As someone who is considered “tech-savvy” I still prefer notebooks and hard copy books. Digital texts and technologies are amazing but so are traditional pen and paper lines.

The rugby ball signed by team Canada and the Riverside Rapids athletics bag represent my passion for sports. The text and writing on the ball from the players speak to my Canadian pride and love for the sport. The pony logo on my key fob is an easily recognizable piece of text without the use of traditional words. As a “car guy” and an educator in the applied skills department, the keys to my car represent more than just a means of transportation. The pony logo represents a culture of cars, desire to drive, and another way to portray myself as a person.

There is no way to imagine what the future world will look like. Although, I’d imagine that an archaeologist would deduce that we lived during the transition between analog and digital. Where we just began utilizing the digital environment but still relied on many of our analog possessions. We are fortunate enough to experience the vast technologies while also still enjoying the simple things in life.

4 thoughts on “Task 1 – What’s In My Bag?

1. Hi Abraham,
    Nice to meet you in this course and in ETEC 565!

I like how you comment on your phone being a connecting tool to the world. In some ways, it’s like having a digital bag within your physical bag!

Do you think that we will fully transition to just digital items in our daily use? I agree with the amazing-ness that is present with more traditional media, but that might be my bias since I grew up with them.

– Linda

2. Abe, I also mentioned how I prefer pen and paper. I didn’t have a book in my bag, but I also prefer hard copy books. For me, the hard copy books I read are my escape from work, school, and any problems in my life. With hard copy books I find I can distance myself from stressors whereas when I do read books on my phone or computer I find I get distracted by emails or work related tasks. I also like your point about the key fob logo and how a logo can do the speaking for itself without any words or explanation.

3. I am also a lover of the old fashioned notebook Abe. I have laptop for work, but doing coursework and tutoring students all happens in notebooks for still.
    I was drawn in more by your rugby ball than the car. That is a real treat. My school is heavily invested in rugby and we have a few top tier players in the math and tech departments.
    Looking forward to working with you this term.

4. Hi Abe,
    Great to see another fan of David Goggins! I highly recommend his podcasts with Joe Rogan too! Great motivator. I too am a simple person, only like to carry my necessities with me. So I definitely relate to what you carry in your bag.