Link 4: Task 9-Network Assignment Using Golden Record Curation Quiz Data

Linked with Junel Lapinskie.

Tasks

We both chose to use screenshots from Palladio followed with written words to explain. Now I’m reading my post again, I found that this kind of layout is not very user-friendly as they have to constantly scroll up and down to refer to different parts of the images to be able to understand the written text. Using genially again would be easier for the users.

Meanwhile, Junel only chose 2 screenshots: one from all the parameters shown with many nodes representing a track or a member and edges to show their connections. Later, she shared the screenshot of the top 5 choices of tracks without the parameters she used. I wish she could’ve include that in her blog so the audience can replicate the process. I noticed that she actually counted the edges and nodes one by one to see the strengths of each connection. This is due to the unweighted network Palladio uses. We could use the data below to see the numbers of connections. However, visually, the network does not reflect them directly. I wish Palladio could use weighted edges and nodes.

We both agreed that the visual does not reflect the reasons behind any of the choices and we can’t possibly know background of the participants for this survey. I’m actually quite into the field of effective data visualization to see explore how different ways of data representation can add a context and to tell the true stories behind just numbers, nodes, or edges. I saw some fascinating exhibits, which involve the audience to engage and co-create the projects. I wonder if it would be the trend for data scientists to collaborate with artists for a better visualization.

One of my favourite examples of data visualization:

What made me – Dorota Grabkowska & Kuba Kolec, 2012

spatial net data net Data installation interactive Threads complex graph visual complexity

WMM-WEB-4.jpg