Monthly Archives: September 2021

Linking Assignment #2

#2

https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540scarr/2021/09/26/task-3-voice-to-text/

Stephanie’s post made me realize that there are similar issues when using Office Dictation on Word. The biggest issue that we seemed to have both faced with was the lack of punctuation unless we specifically indicated “period” or “question mark” etc. Like her, I noticed that my whole text was just a collection of words that I have said. Office Dictation lacks the features of being able to detect when a new sentence begins and the tone of the sentence, where to place punctuations etc. One thing that Stephanie mentions that differs from me is that she is used to speaking clearly due to her ELL background. For me, I grew up with parents that both spoke English with accents (pretty heavy ones too). It wasn’t until I had friends point out that my parents had thick accents, did I realize my parents spoke with accents. It was all I knew and I thought they spoke English with no accent. Because of this, I would occasionally pronounce words differently because that was how my parents pronounced it. Stephanie brings up a point that I also brought up in my post. When there is a lack of punctuation in the written text, it makes it much harder to follow along. In oral language, we are able to gauge what our audience is thinking, able to correct words as we go along, and able to show our emotions within our words. People are able to pick up when a sentence ends and what emotions you are feeling while telling a story. The cues are evident in oral storytelling. In written language and storytelling, you are unable to demonstrate that without punctuations. Even then, I personally believe that it can not achieve the same level of meaning compared to oral story telling. Oral storytelling is more than just speaking, it encompasses facial expressions and body language, all are key parts in communication.

Recently I have been watching the Netflix show “Love on the Spectrum” which is a show about people who are on the spectrum trying to finding a partner/love. The one thing I noticed about the show is that oral communication is difficult for them. Body language and facial expressions are difficult to read and they have a hard time gauging what the other person is feeling and how to interact socially with others. In their oral speaking, I noticed that they are more direct in what they say (there is little to no filter), and they speak with less facial and tone expression (generally). For people on the spectrum, do they prefer written language over oral language? Are they able to gage social cues/interactions better over text than over oral communication?

Linking Assignment #1

#1

https://karenw0801.wixsite.com/mysite/post/task-1-what-s-in-your-bag

When I saw the site Karen created, I was in awe. Visually, it was very engaging and more appealing in my opinion than UBC blog sites (sorry). Karen used Wix.com to create her site. One key thing I noticed about Karen’s site is that is allows for you to link it to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and copy the link. Furthermore, it shows the amount of views and comments on it. This differs from UBC blog as I can only see the comments that get posted on my page. Karen has also used this site for her other courses, which is engaging as I can see her previous works! For me, I make a separate site for each course instead of connecting it. I may want to start a site than incorporates everything I have done so I can see my previous works all in one place. This can allow for me to see progression in my thinking and understanding of things.

The one thing that stood out to be about Karen’s experience is that she prefers to used audio text/audio recordings over written text when communicating using her phone. I know that this is particular popular in Asian countries (I am inferring from personal experiences and observations). In China, WeChat is the most popular social media app used to communicate with others. Often, when I am talking with my relatives, instead of using written text, we use audio recordings to send messages. Like Karen, I find it easier to communicate with others via audio recordings.

One thing that differs is when I use it. Karen appears to use it as the main source of communication. However, for me, I only use audio recordings when I am using WeChat. If I am using a North American platform, written text is my main form of communication. I do not know the reason behind the differences, but I believe it is due to the fact that I speak better Mandarin than I write (I have to often use Google translate to pick the right characters when I am typing a message). I speak with my grandparents the most, and they do not type often, if at all. Instead, they always communicate orally. There is possibly a generational difference in communication that leads to different communication modes. Also, my relative usually speak in Shanghainese dialect, which makes them have more meaningful to conserve with those who understand a unique dialect. From weeks 3’s readings, it demonstrated that oral language differs significantly from written language. There are key features of oral language that cannot be transferred over to written language. Written language can take away meaning or make wrong interpretations of meaning. Written language allows for others to have lots of interpretations, while oral language has less wiggle room.

Task 4: Manual Scripts

Task 4: September 28th, 2021

In elementary school, I usually wrote by hand. When I got to high school, I would write by hand in class but typed out my assignments and essays at home. Currently, I only type and rarely write by hand. I found this task a bit difficult as my hand started cramping up not even a few sentences in. My hand was getting sore trying to write my letter neatly and at a consistent speed. When I made a mistake, I crossed out the word that was wrong and then wrote the correct one next to it. If the mistake was easier to fix, I would write the correct letter darker and on top of the incorrect letter. I edited my work as I went along, stopping and pausing to look each of my sentences. The choice of media did not play a part in how I edited my work. I have always edited my written work as I went along. I feel that the most significant difference between writing by hand and using mechanized writing is the fact that my hand has to move across the page as I am writing manually. It requires more movement on my part than if I typed it out. When I am typing, the only thing that is moving a lot are my fingers. Furthermore, my whole hand is participating in typing while writing manually only allows for one hand to be in use. I prefer to use the mechanized form of writing because my writing is not the neatness. Instead of focusing energy on writing neatly, I am able to get more words down and change it up more easily when I am typing. Lastly, writing mechanically catches any spelling errors that may be in place and edits my work more easily.

Task 3: Voice to Text

Task 3:  September 21st, 2021

Transcript:

Hey it’s either funny story to tell you this will happen when I was in grade 6 and at this point I went to China with my family so my brother and sister mom and dad and we went to a circus to watch the show So what happened was shortly before the show started my sister had to go to the washroom so at this point I am in grade 6 right so I’m about 1213 years old and my sister at this time since we’re ten years apart she was two or three years old and so I carried my sister to the washroom and then apparently this is what my brother and mom told me when we got back from the washroom so mind you we all speak Mandarin right but because me my brother and sister look I guess white they they assumed that we wouldn’t understand them so when I came back my brother my mom told me this story ascentia Lee when I got up to take my sister to the washroom was like 2 ladies behind us and then apparently they were talking to John they were like oh look at that mom taking her daughter to the washroom ‘cause I guess they were just curious because seeing like white people there and funny thing happened my brother he turned around and he was like no that’s not my no that’s not her mom that’s my sisters and then apparently the two ladies in the back were pretty shocked and not so yeah my mom told me that story afterwards so yeah I notice this happens quite a bit when I every time I go back to China that the age difference between me and my sister because it’s pretty large especially when we were younger I looked more mature for my age so I would get a lot of comments about oh is that your daughter with you when they were referring to my sister and I always have to correct them no that’s my sister not my not my daughter there’s also another incident where this is when I was in grade 10 and then my sister at this time would have been in kindergarten and was picking her up from from kindergarten when were in China for the summer again and the teacher she looked issue she saw me and she was like oh your mom is here and then I had to look I had to look at the teacher had to tell her again no I’m the sister I’m not the mom and the teacher looked horrified but my sister she decided to play into the I guess like the joke in that it was like Oh yeah my mom’s here she thought it was funny I was not too impressed considering I was only in grade 10 and yeah There was also other incidences were I would take my sister out for like lunch or whatever every time we were in China and that and there will always be some type of comment or whatever all your daughter is so cute how old is she and my sister just look at me and I have to always feel like no that’s my that’s my that’s my sister not my daughter and then the people would be like oh how old are you then then I’ll tell them like you know I I’m 16 not not in my 20s or 30s and then the first one always be horrified in love and yeah and then they’ll be like oh that how old is your sister and then I would go into the whole spiel about how like where we’re from like how did I learn Mandarin what am I doing in China right now and yeah they usually are interested in background story and they’re impressed when I guess someone who is white looking or white passing speaks Mandarin and lot yeah Yeah then also there is quite a few incidences where people would ask like if like I clear was real because like they haven’t seen someone with like hazely green eyes and then since my sister which was younger had curly hair people would ask if that was real as well because it’s kind of rare to see people with curly hair at that time Oh yeah and I also remember a story where this was back I think in the 80s or 90s when my dad went to China for work in that and he went to a Barber shop at that time to get his haircut with my mom and what happened was this was the first time they’ve ever like seen like a foreigner a white guy in that an at that time my dad had grayish brownish hair but The thing is a changed colour when it got wet right so it went from like a lighter colour too it’s only a very dark colour when it got wet and people were so shocked about that that they had random strangers kind of like all around my dad just looking at how his hair colour changed and I think that’s funny how like so many things have changed from now even to so China has opened their borders there’s more and more foreigners which which is which is nice to see and also in the bigger cities people aren’t as shocked when they see foreigners but times when I visited smaller villages in that and different places where there’s like no foreigners or very little you definitely get looked at a lot more just because they’re not used to seeing people with different features and lot

__________________________________________________________________

The text deviated quite a bit from the conventions of written English. I use Microsoft Word voice over in order to record my anecdote. In written English, there is a lot grammar rules that needs to be followed, such as quotations for quoting what someone else or you say, question marks, periods, spacing between quotes, and commas.

In the text, there are many grammar errors. Firstly, there is absolutely no periods anywhere to indicate the end of a sentence. Secondly, there are also no commas for when I am listing things that happened. Thirdly, when I am quoting what my brother and mom said, there are no quotations at all. When I had a rhetorical question in there, there was no question marks. There are also some words in the text that I did not say or are missing. The addition or omission of certain words makes the sentence incorrect. The one thing that the text got right was the spelling of “colour” (per Canadian English) instead of American English. However, in Microsoft Word, they still have the word underlined in red (I know I can add it to the dictionary list, which I did later). It also got most of the sentences and words correctly, but the missing punctuations make it hard to read and follow along.

The most common mistakes in the text is the lack of punctuation. These are mistakes because the rules in written English are strict in regards to how text should be written. The organization of text, grammar, and punctuation are followed in written English to make it easier to read and determine what is going on. Based on the rules we were taught in school, the text above deviates greatly from what we learned. Breaking these rules in English would count as a “mistake.” When I was in elementary and high school, grammar and punctuation were things that we got marked on. If there was an error, we would get comments or marks deducted from our work. The way the system works tells students that this is a mistake and must be fixed.

If I were using Microsoft Word voice over with a scripted story, there would be less errors in terms of omission or addition of words. I believe the pauses and also the fumbling of words while I was recording my anecdote created errors in the text. If it were scripted, I would not have pauses or fumbling of words. This can decrease the amount of “errors” I would make. Also, my pronunciation of words from my mind may differ than if I were to read something directly. In terms of grammar and punctuation, based off the tool I used, I do not think it would differ much. It appears that Microsoft Word does not add the punctuation automatically. Instead, if I said a sentence (eg. I like bubble tea.), I would need to say “I like bubble tea period” in order to have a period at the end of my sentence. The tool also doesn’t seem to allow for direct quotation marks.

Oral story differs greatly from written storytelling. In oral stories, we use our voice, the volume, and tone to show our emotions and convey meaning. In this weeks module, while listening to and reading Julias Caesars, the way the actors said the lines sometimes differed from the punctuations and tone indicated in the written text. At one line (“Oh judgment!”), there was an exclamation mark, however, the actor did not raise his voice. Instead, he had a more solemn, low, and quiet voice, which is not portrayed by the punctuation in the text. Furthermore, written story telling does not demonstrate the potential dialects that exist when something is spoken in a dialect. Ong (2002) mentions that “of the some 3000 languages spoken that exist today, only some 78 have a literature” (p. 7). This quote made me think about Shanghainese, a dialect spoken in Shanghai. The only way to know how to pronounce the words is through oral language. There is no “written text” to show that “this is how you pronounce it.” All the written words used is Chinese (Mandarin). I remember hearing that Shanghainese was beginning to die out in the mid to late 2000’s. Due to this, schools in Shanghai began teaching the Shanghainese dialect in order to preserve it. Furthermore, in written storytelling, we can “see and touch such inscribed ‘words’ in texts and books” (Ong, 2002, p. 11). For oral storytelling, there is not such thing. In terms of my grandparents and mom speaking to me in Shanghainese, instead of thinking about the words (eg. the character since I know very little written language in Mandarin), I rely on having an image of some sort in my head.

Overall, I find this interesting that there is such a key difference between oral storytelling and written storytelling. My biggest takeaway from this weeks module was that written language is based on oral language. However, oral language is what we use to truly tell stories with emotions and convey meaning.

Ong, Walter, J. Taylor & Francis eBooks – CRKN, & CRKN MiL Collection. (2002). Orality and literacy: The technologizing of the word. New York; London: Routledge.

Task 1: What’s in my Bag?

Task 1: September 8th, 2022

This is the bag my mama bought for me in 2019 and I have been using since then as it is small and easy to carry around. In this bag, I have my wallet, phone, hand sanitizer, hand cream, Vaseline, keys, and Swiss Army knife. I need my wallet in order to hold cards and my phone so that I can stay connected with others. I started carrying hand sanitizer after the pandemic started in order to clean my hands. I have always carried Vaseline as I use that as my lip chap and started carrying hand cream since constantly washing/sanitizing my hands irritates my skin. My house keys are for my place and the Swiss Army knife is for times when I’m out and need to open and/or cut something. These items might be considered text because they often have text on them. In most packagings, there are usually text on it (whether that be the brand name, a quote, design etc.) The items in my bag inform others that in my day-to-day life, I do not need much to enjoy myself and am organized (only bringing what I really need to be comfortable). When thinking about the course, I would say that my phone and credit card are the “text technologies” in my bag as they are able to provide text information to myself and others using technology. They both allow me to create and share information and ideas with others (eg. social media, reading, posting, blogging on the phone; the cards in my wallet allow me to purchase things that enable me to do the things listed before). These items give the idea that I engage with others largely through technology. I make plans with friends and family using text technologies. I do not see it as the main form of communication, but an aide in helping plan face-to-face interactions. The items in the bag do not say too much about the literacies I have as I do not showcase it. I prefer reading paper books and interacting with text on larger devices at home away from distractions. However, if I am posting things online with my phone or messaging others, this showcases my “text style” and literacy style. Though, the way I communicate and the type of literacy language I use with others depends on the context and relationship. For example, when it comes to employers and meetings, I would use formal language. When I am speaking with friends and family, I use abbreviations and informal language. Furthermore, the items in my bag show others the image I have of myself. I don’t like clutter and am organized and simplistic. I only need what I consider necessities in my daily life to be comfortable and happy. Since I am only 25 years old, my bag would have been very different 15 years ago. I probably would have not carried anything but Vaseline and cash. Archeologists who may look at my bag in the future may imply that I lived during the pandemic as hand sanitizer was not a popular thing to carry beforehand. Furthermore, they would hypothesize that skin issues/care was of importance as I have two items that involved moisturizing.

Introduction

Hi!

I’m Leilani and this is my second term for the MET program. I am a certified high school science teacher (with a focus on biology). I have a BSc in Biology and completed the BEd July 2020. I currently reside in San Jose, CA and am in the process of getting certified in the state. My favourite part of teaching science are the labs. I feel that labs are one of the most interesting and engaging parts of science. Science literacy is extremely important, given in todays world, where there seems to be a lack of understanding of research and science. I hope to provide real-world experiences for students in science while also educating them on science literacy.

During my spare time, I like to work out, try different foods/desserts, and travel. I hope that taking this course and the MET program will allow me to understand and use tools that will improve the learning experiences for learners and make them better prepared for the future.