Task 8: Golden Record Curation

The parameters and criteria I used to pick out the 10 songs were based on culture and instruments used. Each song I picked out had to include at least one piece from a different cultural group/country that was on the Golden Record. I also made sure to include different genres (eg. Country, Jazz, Classical etc.) in the list.  The importance for setting out this type of parameter and criteria is that I wanted to showcase the different cultural instruments and sounds, as well as showcasing different genre styles. This shows that the human race is unique with many differences, all are beautiful that evoke different feelings and emotions.

Song List:

• Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20
  • China, ch’in, “Flowing Streams,” performed by Kuan P’ing-hu. 7:37
  • India, raga, “Jaat Kahan Ho,” sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30
  • Bulgaria, “Izlel je Delyo Hagdutin,” sung by Valya Balkanska. 4:59
  • Japan, shakuhachi, “Tsuru No Sugomori” (“Crane’s Nest,”) performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51
  • Australia, Aborigine songs, “Morning Star” and “Devil Bird,” recorded by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26
  • “Dark Was the Night,” written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson. 3:15
  • Mexico, “El Cascabel,” performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14
  • Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08
  • “Melancholy Blues,” performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05