Linking Assignment #4 – grammatical issues with predictive text

I found myself constantly nodding as I read through Robin’s Task 11 analysis. We shared many of the same thoughts and frustrations during this task. We talked about the pulling of words from texts messages (we both had the word “lake” come up), how we struggled to string together a proper sentence and our frustrations on having ads pop up in social media after performing a Google search the day before.

Robin did feel like some of the predicted sentences sounded like some of her ramblings, while I felt like mine were nothing like my true thoughts. She also had emojis pop up in her predicted text, while I did not. Maybe this was all due to the fact I have a new phone and Robin has been using hers regularly to communicate with friends, family and students. I also wonder if my predictive text would have turned out differently if I had written it in the Notes app like Robin did instead of as a text.

I agree that the sentences that were predicted are nothing that I would post online. The thoughts seem to the lack the flow of natural speech (in addition to the crazy grammatical issues). I too am very careful with what I post online, knowing that as a teacher I can be under close scrutiny.

Doing some “scholarly lurking” of Robin’s blog I found that many of her posts were concise and to the point, but left me wanting to hear more about her thoughts on the tasks. Was this purposeful? Or do they seem more concise because of the text associated with the theme? Regardless, I enjoyed reading her posts because they were insightful yet easy to follow, as I’m still trying to get back into reading and understanding academic language…. We are both using WordPress, so I found her site easy to navigate.

In her analysis of our Task 9, she appears to have mis-read the map of the links between the choices that we and Tyler made. We did only have 6 songs that all three of us picked, but there was an additional song that we each had in common with each other, and then two songs no one else picked. So we each only had 7 songs in common with one other person. I think this speaks to the intricate nature of the Palladio program and the dense web it created – things were overlapping and hard to visualize until you pulled it apart.

In general, I think that Robin’s experience in adult education leads her to a different approach to tasks that I do as a high school teacher. Her clear and concise posts are directed at the reader to process efficiently, while my posts are more deliberately laid out in individual thoughts. I find that teenagers need things broken down and segmented as they still aren’t great at interpreting information that isn’t clearly outlined. But I’m guessing this could be the same for adults too!!