Task 4

Potato Printing

I was drawn to this task immediately for two reasons:

1. When my youngest was small, they received a tote bag decorating kit as a birthday present. I was all set to be a crafty mom and whip up some potato stamps for an afternoon playdate. But the morning presented some parenting challenges, and my potato carving plans were dashed. So I let the kids freehand decorate their tote bags, and they still had a great time.
  2. This quote from the letterpress video in Module 4.3 really resonated with me:

“The digital age does remove us from the tactile work, the more hands-on. And I think there is a longing in our soul to get back to that” (Danny Cooke Freelance Filmmaker, 2012).

I do agree with that statement. As my professional life is more and more about being at a computer in a virtual workplace and creating online courses and etexts, I try to find more ways to be away from a screen in my personal life. I think that’s why I really enjoyed this task, even though I found it challenging. While I have crafty aspirations, I am not an exceptionally skilled craftsperson. I chose a word with as many straight-line letters as possible. Because if Squid Game has taught us anything, it’s that curves are more difficult to carve. (Although potatoes are more forgiving than dalgona candy.) Serifs were never part of the plan, and I chose capital letters for ease of reproduction, not ease of reading. Carving the letters took much less time than I thought, and I felt good about my progress.

I decided to test my stamps.

I completely forgot about the need to reverse the letters N and K. Luckily, I could just flip around the K stamp, but the N required a new carving. And since I do not have strong spatial skills (I cannot help my kids with their translations, reflections, and rotations math homework), I had to Google a visual for a backwards “N.”

Once I had my stamps ready to go and chose vermillion as my paint colour, I found the task of the exact duplication of the word THINK to be impossible with the tools I had at hand. While the text was preserved and clearly communicated when printed on the page, I could not duplicate the paint distribution or the kerning. I could not even keep the letters horizontally aligned. But when I was done, I was immediately thinking of how I could improve the process if I had to duplicate the word again: perhaps I could use lined paper, or I could cut off the rounded sides of my stamps so I could space the letters on the page more accurately. Or maybe a different kind of paint would help with the application consistency. I imagine that the mechanization of writing would have evolved the same way: with a desire to improve the technology with tweaks and improvements that added up and changed the world.

2 Comments

1. Hi Nicole, we chose the same word! I also chose it because it consists of straight-line letters.

I especially enjoyed reading your thoughts towards the end of your post on the potential remediation of potato stamps. I imagine the designers of the letterpress went through a similar thought process at some point!

The line from Collier that you quoted resonated with me as well. Collier also used the word “therapeutic” to describe the process (Danny Cooke Freelance Filmmaker, 2012), which I liked a lot. It makes me wonder what else we’ve lost along the way in the remediation of the mechanization of writing.

Danny Cooke Freelance Filmmaker. (2012, January 26). Upside down, left to right: A letterpress film [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RqWe1bFpM

2. Hi Nicole,

I enjoyed reading through your post and your potato printing experience. I can relate to the ‘crafty mom’ moments that turn sideways. I got my children (aged 5 & 3) involved with the potato stamp project and they quickly wanted to take over the entire process. ???? The quote you selected is something I think about a lot as an Ed Tech specialist in my school.

In recent years, I converted much of my traditional technology lessons to more offline, STEM, engineering based, project based group learning opportunities where students can apply their skills and spend less time on screens. It’s so important as educators that teachers choose screen time that acts to improve and develop news skills and not simply to do the task of traditional pen and paper. I also believe that so many children are growing up with overuse of screens and developing addictive personalities or behaviour problems, yet thrive in environments that are physical and active in nature. I know for me personally, after spending hundreds of hours on my screen throughout the MET program, completing this task was a much welcomed activity.

PS – I used an ink pad after I attempted to use paint, and found that to be much more effective in creating consistent prints.