Link #1: Manual Scripts – Sage Capogreco

by markpepe

Sage’s Manual Scripts Task

Sage and I had a similar experience regarding manual scripts. One point I resonated with was how a manual script “forces me to reflect before putting pen to paper.” Sage talks about making an annotation to move a chunk of text and this reminded me of outlining. In high school, I was taught to create an outline before writing an essay. That way, I can have a clear flight path for my written work; the reflection before putting pen to paper. For me, I have stopped using the method of creating a proper outline for my writing. For large works of writing, I’ll create an Apple Note, and I’ll put my thoughts and ideas down, then I would cut and paste to the section where I want that idea to go. Or, I just start typing and see where things go, then cut, paste, and revise. After I have the work mostly complete in Apple Notes I’ll then copy the text to Apple Pages, Microsoft Word, or to the blog.

Another point regarding annotating, I didn’t realize how much more effective annotations can be in a digital form. My classmates and I are constantly collaborating through a shared Google Doc. Since we are usually working on the document at different times annotating gives us the opportunity to give insight of our ideas to others. For example, I can convey an idea but maybe I don’t articulate it as effectively as I want, then I would leave an annotation (a comment in Google Docs) for a classmates input for revision. Kalir & Garcia (2019) say that annotations makes your thinking visible and allows others to see how one responds to ideas. Digital annotation is a powerful tool for the user and for collaborating with others.

The digital script wins over the manual script for professional and academic writing. It provides flexibility, an ease of use, and affords more productivity.

• Kalir, R., & Garcia, A. (2019). Chapter 1. In Annotation (0 ed.). Retrieved from https://mitpressonpubpub.mitpress.mit.edu/pub/926svib6