Task 7: Mode-bending

Standard

Click here for the audio version. 

If you would prefer to read, the transcript is included here.

Reflection

Initially, this task felt like a real challenge because I had no idea on where to start from and how to change the mode from visual semiotic to something with audio. In all honesty, I have always shied away from anything with audio and have been most comfortable doing everything and anything visual- games, or even videos with images (with music but no voice-over, of course!) Thus, I decided for this task, I should push myself beyond my limit and go for an audio, and maybe even sing a little in the introduction.

Trying to put into practice the multiliteracies concepts introduced by the New London Group (1996), I imagine myself being the bag and narrating what “I” experienced as the bag. This is my first time using Anchor to record a potential podcast, and I love how user-friendly it is!

I started off with writing a script and in the writing process, I frequently referred to and included the points I had written for Task 1. Then, I recorded my audio without intro and outro. It did sound boring without music, so I explored Anchor further and included some music in my recording. One of my biggest challenges in completing this task is, “When do I get to record without noise?” There is always some form of “noise”- Living near the SkyTrain means every 10 minutes or so, there will be a train that passes by. In the end, I have this audio recorded in the wee hours. In hindsight, I could have used Audacity to edit my recording and that would have saved me from staying up past midnight. Well, maybe next time.  

Mode-changing is promising in accommodating different learning styles. Visuals provide the space that allows for words to freely provide descriptions while readers manipulate the picture created in their minds. Information such as numerical details could be transmitted easily and quickly through visuals. While visuals are appealing, audio provides communication advantages that are impossible to set aside. Suitable  intonation and pace in audio could ensure that learners stay motivated and engaged. However, it could also be challenging if one speaks too quickly- listeners may become confused, lag behind, or quit listening altogether.

One thing that struck me while I was working on this task is that:

One man’s meat could be another man’s poison

Regardless of its benefits, students would not enjoy utilizing only a particular type of learning material. Students are expected to transform into a new type of learner through the design of learning environment (New London Group, 1996). Therefore, as educators, it is important that we offer students access to a variety of learning techniques and resources to appeal to students’ diverse learning needs to maximize learning. 

Definitely, one size no longer fits “all”.

The New London Group.  (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. Harvard Educational Review 66(1), 60-92.