ETEC 540 Community Network

Emoji Story

Did you rely more on syllables, words, ideas or a combination of all of them?

I found myself relying more on replacing words with emojis/images. This reminds me of  Boroditsky’s (2011) argument that our language shapes the way we think. In this sense, language affected the way in which I produced images to explain my ideas. In a sense, my words became pictorials (Bolter, 2001). I was also tempted to add words to explain the images, similar to Bolter’s (2001) idea  about scholarly journals that words control the images or text supervises images and its reading. I also agree with Prior (2005) that images are also sequential. I inputed the images as I would say them in the same sequence as words. It is also interesting to note that this blog space couldn’t reproduce the emojis as I enter them. Rather, it appeared as question marks as if this blog space couldn’t understand the input. This reminds me of Prior’s (2005) analysis of Kress’ affordances of words and images in that this blog space may not value the use of emojis or that it may see words as in control and of more importance (Bolter, 2001). In creating my Emoji Story, it reminded me of our dictation assignment, in that I did not include punctuations except spacing out the title from the plot description to signify a start of a new idea.

Did you start with the title? Why? Why not?

Did you choose the work based on how easy would it be to visualize?

Bolter, J. D. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed.). Mahwah, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. doi:10.4324/9781410600110

Boroditsky, L. (2011). How language shapes thoughtLinks to an external site.Scientific American, 304(2), 62-65.

Prior, P. (2005). Moving multimodality beyond the binaries: A response to Gunther Kress’ “Gains and Losses.” Computers and Compositions, 22, 23-30.

«