Task 8 – Golden Record Curation Assignment

While listening to the Voyager’s Golden Record, I chose 10 out of 27 pieces of music. This was a difficult task as there were many more songs I would have included. I decided on these pieces as if I were an alien or a foreigner listening to the music for the first time. Some pieces that I omitted were too high-pitched for my liking making it hard to listen to the whole track, however, the following ten are pieces that I would see an alien swaying to. According to Rumsey in her online discussion, she mentions that we, as humans, need to reflect on the past in order to figure out what is needed for the future (Browns University, 2017). Therefore, hearing these pieces could allow an alien to recreate the music as there were not many complex instrumental sounds in these tec pieces of music.

I am not an instrumental specialist at all, however, these are pieces of music that my own ear appreciated. The 10 songs that I chose also reminded me of certain events and places that I have travelled to in my life, or just simply I enjoyed the sounds and tunes of the song.

Here are my top 10 picks.

• Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38
  • “Melancholy Blues,” performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05
  • “Johnny B. Goode,” written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38
  • India, raga, “Jaat Kahan Ho,” sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30
  • Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, “The Fairie Round,” performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17
  • Mexico, “El Cascabel,” performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14
  • Bach, “Gavotte en rondeaux” from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55
  • Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40
  • Tchenhoukoumen, Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08
  • Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20

Peru, wedding song This song is done in vocals with a female voice with no instruments. The sound of her voice is so beautiful that I feel like instrumentals would take away from sound. The sound of the female’s voice sounds young and intriguing that I wish I knew what was being said. This song would let aliens know that music can be done acapella and that all they need is their voice to create a sound that is pleasing.
Melancholy Blues I thought it would be nice to add some jazz for the aliens to hear. This piece of music has brass instruments. Do I hear a trombone and a trumpet? This track reminds me of being down in the South listening to Jazz music on the streets of New Orleans, Louisiana. Now I feel like some crawfish, turtle soup, jambalaya and some Creole chicken.
Johnny B. Goode This song just makes me want to get up and dance. I feel like it would also have the same effect on any life out in space. There is such a positive and upbeat sound to this tune that your feet would simply just tap if you did not get up and dance. It also makes you feel like you are playing air instruments and having your very own solo.
Jaat Kahan Ho I liked the sound of this song as it would be great for another language to be put on this track. I feel like life in outer space knows the languages of those who have travelled from Earth. Therefore, having another language could be interesting for them to listen to. As well, they would realize that there are more languages than they may be aware of.
The Fairie Round This track just makes me feel happy and makes me smile. I think it is because it reminds me of a German Christmas Market drinking mulled wine and buying knickknacks for those I believe will appreciate the kind gesture.
El Cascabel In this song, it features a male voice, has an upbeat tune, and contains a guitar. It makes me think of eating at a Mexican restaurant or actually being in Mexico City listening to live music. The lights would be dimmed and I would have red wine in hand while tapping my feet along to the music.
Gavotte en rondeaux The violin on this track sounds so beautiful that it is a must to be added. I can just picture two aliens closing their eyes and just moving their head to the sound and listening to each stoke of the strings of the violin. This song is very famous, which means that many countries are aware of this tune, so why not bring it to space so that the aliens can hear a famous song.
Bach, Brandenburg This song is music that is light, easy to listen to, and can be playing in the background while doing just about anything for a nice ambience. I hear a flute and a violin. This reminds me of when my mom would take me to ballets and musical performances at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre.
Tchenhoukoumen, Senegal This piece of upbeat music has many percussion instruments that makes it stand out compared to other songs that I omitted. I also like how there are layers of sounds which can display to the aliens that more than one sound can be put together to create a pleasing track. To me, this piece has positive vibes which could suggest that those on earth can, and possibly are, humans who have positivity within them.
Beethoven, Fifth Symphony This piece of music is a classical song that only consists of instruments that are string and does not include any vocals. To me, this song is full of suspense which would show the aliens that music can sound different and allow listeners to feel different emotions. This song was created from 1804-1808, yet it is still a popular song today. Therefore, depending when the aliens receive this record, this song will still be a tune that will continue to be liked on different planets in hundreds of years to come.

Brown University. (2017).  Abby Smith Rumsey: “Digital Memory: What Can We Afford to Lose?”. Accessed via YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=FBrahqg9ZMc&feature=emb_logo

Task 7 – Mode Bending

For this task, I decided to create a song with original lyrics. It is about the items that I use in my bag and what happens for me during a regular work day. The lyrics are sung to the tune of Maroon 5’s “Memory.” Please keep in mind that I am not a singer, so this is as good as it will get! As a refresher, this is the image that I took of the contents of my bag from Week 1.

Click below, follow along with the lyrics, and enjoy!

Lyrics

I, wake up tired – every morning

I rush to get clothes and my lunch together

And then I make sure to check Google maps to see if my commute will be good

Then I walk my dog, Baby O

And make sure he goes pee and poo

And then he’s fed and medicated, as he has high anxiety.

I then put on my mask

As we are still in this pandemic

Make sure I have my work card, keys, and whistle around my neck

I make it to work just in time,

To open the window shutters,

And get out the hand sanitizer,

Okay here we go.

Deep breath.

I got this.

Good morning class,

Let’s try to have a good day.

Kindies come in all wild,

It’s going to be a long day

And an active one at that

Loudness and chaos is the description of my class.

Even though they are an active bunch,

all 18 of them tend to pull on my heart strings

By the end of the day, I am ready for a nap.

Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo

I am still ready for a nap.

I need to prep for tomorrow

And then commute home

In traffic

From Delta to Vancouver

Driving home is my down time

I then reflect on my day

Listen to music

And I’m on my way, oooo

Once I am at home,

It is time to pull out my computer

To start reading, doing assignments, and tasks for my masters

For a break,

I have my dinner to boost up my energy

As I need to get my homework done

Before the deadline.

Back to the computer I go,

I pull out my agenda and the two syllabuses,

So I can check off what I’ve completed and cross out what I’ve read.

Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo

I am almost a master

Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo

Soon I will be done

We are half way through

This semester,

I cannot wait to be done.

Only 6 more weeks to go.

The evening comes around so fast,

Now I get to lay in bed

With Oslo

And watch some TV like FBI, NCIS, 911, and Greys.

Now it’s time to take my pills,

I take 12.

It’s a shit ton

But I need it

In order to physically

Make it through life.

It sucks but I have to,

So I do it.

Alarms are set,

All 5 of them are ready.

7:00, 7:15,

7:30, 7:45, and 8:00.

I lay in bed for hours

Because my mind and body can’t settle.

I TikTok it up until my eyes are blurry

And my phone drops on my face.

Now past 1am

And I wish I could have slept early

But I didn’t so I watched hours of nonsense

And learned new things from randoms around the planet.

Doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

Goodnight world.

This was such a fun assignment. I really hope I did it correctly and was able to weave the contents of my bag into what a day in my life looks like. I brought the contents in my bag to life through this parody. I was able to find an instrumental cover of the song “Memories” by Maroon 5 on YouTube so that I would have the correct tune to one of the songs I enjoy the most right now. This allowed me to use the tune to help formulate the rhythm of the lyrics. 

In week one when I described the contents of my bag, I did it in a way that could be viewed visually and textually. Now, as we have moved onto week seven, this task is viewable in another multiliteracy mode where it can be accessed in an audio form. The New London Group (1996) states that “new communications media are reshaping the way we use language” and that “there cannot be one set of standards or skills that constitute the ends of literacy learning” (p. 64). As the world is full of diverse individuals that have differences throughout every aspect of communication, it is important to make literacy available in an array of multimodals. As well, The New London Group (1996) states that “dealing with linguistic differences and cultural difference has now become central to the pragmatics of our working, civic, and private lives,” which suggests that items need to be produced in multiple ways that are available cross-culturally (p. 64). As an educator, we have to make sure we are able to reach all of our students by using multimodal ways to teach them and understand the different ways that our students learn, whether visually, textually, orally, or spatially. 

After I completed this task, I sent the audio file to my sister and my niece and nephew watched it, as well. After they watched it, my nephew, who is in kindergarten, was inspired to share a day in his life from his point of view. I decided to add it to this post. He was able to recreate this task from his point of view in a visual and audio mode. This is how he is best able to describe his day since he is unable to do it textually. I am only sharing the audio portion due to privacy. Click below to listen. 

The New London Group.  (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. Harvard Educational Review 66(1), 60-92.

Linking Assignment #3

The next post I am going to link to is Jacob’s emoji story.

Firstly, I am going to share the comment I posted on his blog site:

“At first, I was like what is the title?!….Then I said it out loud. I see what you did there. Very clever. It is almost like that game where you say the words on the card that look like gibberish, but then when someone hears it, it sounds like something you know. I then glanced and skimmed the emojis and saw the hand gesture and alien heads which confirmed the tv show. I only saw it when I was younger and my older brother would watch it so I don’t know the storyline or plot, but I was able to guess it right away just from the title and some hints.”

Jacob and I both did TV shows, however he did Star Trek and I did Squid Game. First of all, we both used different emoji pictures. I used the ones from Apple on my iPhone. Jacob, on the other hand, used a different program. Using a different emoji program made it more difficult for me to understand the story because I had to really look at the emoji to determine what it was. For example, some of the facial expressions were hard to figure out as the eyebrows and hands were not as prominent as the ones from Apple. 

What I do wonder is how Jacob decided on these images. Did he type in a word to find the emoji that he wanted? Or did he just scroll through all of the emojis and pick one that seemed to sum up what he was trying to explain?

I also believe that Jacob summed up the entire storyline of Star Trek which, to me, is a very difficult task to do as you have to make sure that all the details and information are correct. Did Jacob recall all the events that happened from start to finish? Or did he look up the episode summaries to refresh his memory? I know that when I wrote out the emoji story for Squid Game, I decided to just do episode one since I felt like this emoji story would be much too long and complex. After I completed the emojis for episode one, I then wanted to make sure that I was not forgetting anything, so I googled the episode summary and it allowed me to add an event that I missed. I wonder if Jacob did the same thing. 

Jacob mentions that the “usage of these emojis does not necessarily follow any standardized set of meanings, how someone approaches these visuals can seriously diverge their understanding from my intent” (para. 3). This is very true and something I had not considered. I feel like if a person who has seen this TV show understands which show it is, they will be able to figure out what the emojis are trying to explain. I also believe that even if two people were to do the same show in this emoji form, they would have completely different outcomes. Even though the plot is the same, it may have derived a different meaning. 

Jacob (2021, October 17). Task 6 – Emoji Story. https://blogs.ubc.ca/gleckmanetec540/2021/10/17/task-6-emoji-story/

Linking Assignment #2

The next task I am going to link to is going to be Grant’s Twine Task.

The comment I made on Grant’s task was:

“What a great Twine, Grant! It was perfect. It made me feel like I was down by the water. The sound effects allowed me to feel as if the experience was real. It made me feel calm and happy. My dog was even intrigued when he heard the seagulls. I like how you made it simple and fun to play along with. The pictures allowed me to visualize everything on this adventure, from being on the water, to going fishing, and then having my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Best of all, I succeeded in this narrative game with one try!”

His story and mine are on completely different ends of the spectrum. His reflects that of a day on the water filled with whatever you choose. Mine, however, is a spooky, suspenseful thriller where you die with almost any choice.

Grant’s twine story is simple and easier to understand and navigate. Mine, on the other hand, is more complex and leads you down many paths. Throughout his twine story, Grant uses mainly two options for readers to choose from which makes the narrative game straightforward and effortless. As well, to me, the choices seemed to be made for readers to use their common sense to figure out which was the better path to take. I was able to go through this game once without having to try again because I made smart decisions along the way. If we reflect back to the twine game I created, mine is presented in a way that is more complex. For the most part, I provided three paths for readers to choose from which, I find, increased the anxiety of the reader since there were more uncertain paths to choose. My twine game was more so luck of the draw as there were many choices that ended poorly for the player. 

In Grant’s twine story, he added sound effects which allows readers to pretend that they are actually on this adventure in real life, whereas mine did not as it would have taken me way too long. According to Bell (2020), when sound effects are used in twine, the mood is set through the ambience. As well, Wharton and Collins (2011) describe that sound is able to influence the enjoyment and interpretation of the narrative game. This is absolutely true as the sound effects in Grant’s story allowed me to enjoy the game in a calming way. Bell (2020) also states that the sound and music throughout the twine allows readers to feel either less or more anxious and their heart rate is affected. Again, with Grant’s story, I was able to feel less anxious about the choices I was making and my heart rate was slow and steady. If I were to add sound effects into the game I created, I feel like there would be many emotions going through the players, their anxiety would be through the roof, and their heart rate would be elevated. I know that if I had more time, I would have been able to allow players to experience the game in a more realistic way that would affect their mind and body. 

Bell, K. (2020). Training perceptions through play: A case for building interactive autoethnographic experiences through Twine. In Silva, Adriana de Souza e, & R. Glover-Rijkse (Eds.), (1st ed., pp 47-64). Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780367855055-5

Wharton, A., & Collins, K. (2011). Subjective measures of the influence of music customization on the video game play experience: A Pilot study. Game Studies, 11(2). Retrieved from http://gamestudies.org/1102/articles/wharton_collins.

Linking Assignment #1

The first linking assignment I am going to reflect on will be Braden Litt’s potato printing.

I decided to focus on Braden’s potato printing task as it was completely different from mine. Firstly, I am going to share the post I made on his task. 

“I never thought of writing the whole word on one potato. That was genius of you! You only had to waste one potato whereas I used five small potatoes and cut them in half. It must have been challenging to carve out the entire word mirrored. Did you end up having to start all over with any errors that you made? Or did you just cut the potato down and try to save it?

If I did an entire word on one potato, I would have had a difficult time making them all uniform. When you noticed that some were uneven, did you notice after stamping it with paint, or just by looking at the potato before printing?”

As mentioned in the post, Braden wrote his entire 5-letter word on one potato compared to the many small potatoes I used by cutting them in half. This is the first indication that my colleague’s experience was different from mine. If Braden were to make a mistake with the letters that he printed, he would have to completely start again. Whereas with my letters, if I were to make a mistake, which I did, I only had to redo that one letter. He had to pay close attention to the unity of all the letters, making sure that the height and widths were consistent. Again, if he were to make a mistake and make one of his letters shorter than the rest, the stamp would not have been complete as one of the letters would have been barely visible.

Initially, Braden spent time planning how he was going to create his stamp. This was a smart idea so that he would catch any mistakes prior to starting the cutting. As for myself, I just visualized the letter’s shape in my head before cutting out the letter. I wonder if I were to pre plan my approach, would that allow for less mistakes to happen? 

Finally, Braden wrote all of the letters in lowercase compared to mine that were all uppercase. This makes me wonder which approach was easier to carve out. I know that I wrote mine in all uppercase because I thought it would be easier with more straight lines compared to curves. If Braden were to carve out all uppercase letters, he would have avoided doing curves all together as all of his uppercase letters would have been straight lines. We also did words that were dissimilar. His word was “whale,” whereas mine was “words.” We both had the letter “w,” however, the rest of the letters were different. I wonder what made him choose the word “whale.”

Task 6 – Emoji Story

This week’s task encouraged us to create an emoji story based on a recent movie, television show, or book. If you are following trends right now, you will know exactly the story I am portraying. Below is episode one:

This process was fun yet challenging. I wanted to focus on the main ideas and plot of this episode and I believe I captured them quite nicely from the available emojis. I started with the title as it seemed easy to figure out. I decided to also add a flag so that readers could understand where the show was filmed and in what language. Throughout telling the emoji story, I focused more on ideas and what would best capture the main elements of this episode. I found that focusing on words and syllables became lengthy and was not effective and conveying the plot. When using the emojis for ideas, readers are able to explore their creative thoughts to figure out the representation.

I wanted to make sure that I captured the characters as best as I could, however, not all nationalities are represented in the emojis. I also noticed that within emojis there are not any families that are biracial or any that represent a step mom or step dad.

There are also many emojis that are not included in the available selection, such as a real guns, dead bodies, a business card, sleeping gas, different clothing options, facial masks, and other objects.

What I really enjoyed about creating an emoji story like this is that I did not have to worry about punctuation or spelling. It was all focused on the visual aspect of a story. I did however, split up the main moments of the episode so that readers could obtain a better understanding of what I was trying to represent. For breaks in the moments of the story, I was able to use spaces to signify this.

According to Bolter (2001), he discusses “ekphrasis sets out to rival visual art in words to demonstrate that words can describe vivid scenes without re­course to pictures [, … however the] attempt to make words do what pictures do might be taken to mean that pictures are primary and words secondary” (p. 56). Also, Bolter (2001) states that, “the relationship between popular films and novels is further proof that the visual is now regarded as primary” (p. 56). This is also the case for when students are just starting to learn how to read. In order to read, we must understand what the picture is describing before we are able to understand the meaning of the word. Therefore, I do believe that images come before the text. Bolter (2001) also points out that students who are young are able to “follow the story and become accustomed to the linearity of reading before [they] can actually decipher the letters that constitute alphabetic writing” (p. 54). In my Kindergarten class, students draw out their story before they learn how to write the words. With this task, the emojis allow us to make meaning of a story without using words by focussing on the visual aspect of storytelling. This task and other visual stories, allow for there to be a universal understanding without the need to translate the visual meaning into multiple languages. The visual representations also remind me of IKEA instructions. All of the instructions contain pictures that are universally understood, making the instructions useful for all.

Bolter, J. D. (2001). Chapter 4. Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print(2nd ed.). Mahwah, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. doi:10.4324/9781410600110

Task 5 – Twine

If you click the Twine Project below, you will be able to download my Twine, called What Lurks in the Night?

What Lurks in the Night – Twine Project

Making this twine was tons of fun and I think I got carried away just a bit. 

I decided to create a twine that was spooky and fitting for October and Halloween. Scary movies are one of my favourite genres to watch as I love to get scared every once in a while. Also, I think that horror films prepare you for what not to do in real life. I believe that the pictures create a visual for players to feel as if they are actually experiencing this in real life. The photos that were added to my Twine were collected from Pixabay and Shutterstock. Adding sound effects and background noise would have elevated this twine even more. There were many times that I went into my story and edited text to make sure it was just right. When I thought I was done, there would be something else that I would have to add which then added more pages. I had to make sure that everything flowed just right; that it was spooky, engaging, and challenging, as there is only one path that leads you to the right level and it is strictly by chance. Perhaps this was all a dream. Perhaps there was nothing out there at all except for Larry who was kicked out by his wife. The point is, we don’t really know what is around the corner and sometimes it works out and other times we are just playing by chance. Even though you DIE, you can still return to previous pages to try to find your way out. I also must add that YouTube helped me out a lot in figuring out the coding for images, the mechanisms of the text (movement and colour), and adding sound. For the amount of time I had in creating this Twine, I was unable to put in the sound effects and music as it is a lengthy process. As well, I started creating my Twine in Safari, resulting in the html not saving in proper format, therefore I had to learn how to convert my Twine story from Safari to Chrome without losing any data. I was so nervous I was going to do my work but YouTube saved the day once again.

I also wanted to share the story statistics as I found it interesting to see. As you can see, there are 17, 775 characters, 2298 words, 32 passages, 56 links, and 0 broken links (Yippie!). 

Throughout my Twine story, the technological advancement of writing a story is seen as different actions may cause different outcomes. This reminds me of the movie called, The Butterfly Effect (2004) which showed the audience how the way in which one reacts to an encounter and scenario (aka: variables) can change the final outcome. The interactive ability that is built within this twine story shows how the text can create meaning. Also, the rules and instructions of this twine story can play a role in how stories are created online. With my story, there are many encounters where players have to make a choice even though they do not know what the future holds for them. The unknown creates suspense for the players and allows them to feel emotion while getting through this story, that ultimately they have created with their choices. 

Twine uses the hypertext concept as it allows creators to make their story by linking the pages together. Twine allows there to be links from one page to another with easy skips and flows between different pages that lead to a preferred outcome. The creator is able to see the connection of links compared to the reader, however, Bolter (2001) states, the “links [between pages] constitute a path through a virtual space and the reader becomes a vis­itor or traveler in that space” which is a magical experience (p. 29). In the video by Wesch (2007), he shows us how information is shared, stored, critiqued, and created from shelves and drawers in the

library to scroll through information on the internet. Text has definitely changed from words in physical books written in such a linear fashion, as Bolter (2001) describes it as a “complete or closed verbal structure,” to a circular, more organically arrangement with the use of hyperlinks (p. 77). As humans, we rarely stay on a straight path, there are always obstacles, wrong turns, hazards, celebrations, and journeys that we encounter, making our life full of different shaped lines, turns, curves, circles, and u-turns. According to Bolter, (2001), he stated that Ted Nelson viewed hypertext like it was “natural to the mind,” which is how I also believe it to be (p. 42). Sometimes I feel like I have a hundred pages opened up in my mind, however, I always seem to circle back and reuse my thoughts that are stored in my head. Finally, Bolter (2001) proposed that using hypertext can allow players/readers to access all the text quickly in a way that a physical printed book is unable to do, therefore the hypertext allows the content to be flexible and interchangeable. 

Bolter, J. (2001). Writing space: computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. New York, NY: Routledge.

Wesch, M. (2007, October 12). Information R/evolution. [Video File]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CV05HyAbM 

Task 4 – Potato Printing

Was there something particularly challenging in the process?

The five-letter word I decided on using for the potato stamps was “words.” I wanted to write the word letters but “words” was the next best thing. As a Kindergarten teacher, words are all around: on the walls, in books, on their paper, their names, etc. This is why I decided to choose this word. The first two letters, “W” and “O” were simple and straightforward but it took time to craft it how I wanted it to be. As I finished carving out the letter “R,” I showed my roommate how beautiful my “R” was and he said, “wait a minute, when you stamp that, it is going to be backwards.” Of course, with this process I then realized I messed up. I had to then cut it out in reverse so that when I did stamp it onto the paper, it would be correct. Another challenging part of this process was creating curved shapes with the knife. Thank goodness this mistake happened with just the “R” so I only wasted half of a potato. I knew that with the S, I had to mirror it.

How much time did it take for you to create the stamps? 

This process of cutting the stamps took about 20 minutes to complete, although I was not timing myself and I was multitasking. Each letter took about three minutes and I had to carve out the letter “R” again. I found myself cutting out all the straight edges of the letters first before tackling the curves and smaller nooks. If I wanted to create the entire alphabet with upper and lowercase letters, I believe it would take me roughly 160 minutes (2 hours and 40 minutes) without errors. Creating the stamp does take the majority of the time. Once all of the stamp prints are done and cut, the ink or paint transfer then takes some time to make sure that the paint is evenly distributed. However, I suppose if one did not want it perfect, they could just dip the letters into the paint instead of brushing it on which would save some time.

Have you noticed anything particular about the letters that you have chosen to reproduce?

I clearly decided to do the letters in uppercase as I wanted to use the majority of the potato. Uppercase letters are also letters that Kindergarteners will learn first before lowercase letters so uppercase letters were my automatic choice. The font I chose is also very standard and is a straight cut as opposed to bubble letters which are simpler to create. Also, I did just notice that those five letters are letters that I see more often than others. For example, my mom’s name starts with a “W,” my dad and brother’s name starts with a “R,” my name starts with a “S,” “D” could be for dad and dog, “W” could also be turned upside down to create a “M” for mom, my sister’s name, and the name of the school I work at, “O” because it’s a shape that is seen daily. Could this be why this word came to me? Or is it just purely a coincidence?

Considering the time and effort that took you to create a 5-letter word, how do you feel about the mechanization of writing? 

The paint I used was a Pine Green acrylic paint as that is what I had laying around. Yeah right, I had a whole bunch of colours as I am a craft freak and an obsessive collector of everything and anything crafty. However, I went with a dark colour as this is what I wanted to use for a bolder look once the words were printed. I lathered on a decent amount of paint so that the entire letter was covered generously. Then it was time to make two copies. The first print was darker and had more paint compared to the second print which was lighter. If I were to do another print, without applying anymore paint, I do believe that the letters would be patchy with the paint. I made the double prints letter by letter as I did not want the paint to fully dry out on the potato. This made the process easier to replicate.

The process and effort it took me to create a 5-letter word was time consuming and tedious. I had to make sure that each letter looked as perfect as possible. I also had to ensure that the thickness was consistent throughout. This entire process was challenging yet exciting as there was some technicality behind creating these letters. According to Bolter (2001), mechanization is involved in all writing as it is a technical skill. I made the letters and printed them onto the paper, they were quite large. However, this was not a concern of mine as this was just a simple five-letter word activity. If I wanted to create a story with these letters, the font would be too large to do so. According to Clement (1997), when Gutenberg and Schoeffer designed their first print, it “turned out to be too large” as they realized that they would only be able to fit so many lines of words on one piece of paper (p. 13). Even printing professionals make mistakes and have to adjust their sizing depending on the task. Like Bolter (2001) says, “each culture and each period has had its own complex economy of writing” (p. 21). Techniques that were used for some periods, will be different from those techniques used now. Bolter (2001) also observed that the mechanics of writing and its popularity were linked to efficient, clean, clear texts. In order to do this, time, accuracy, and efficiency must be obtained. Therefore, beautifully designed, hand-crafted print has faded throughout the years. It may not be as popular now due to the time and effort that is needed, however it is still in use by individuals who want invitations or cards hand-printed.

Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print [2nd edition]. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Clement, Richard W. (1997). “Medieval and Renaissance book production (Links to an external site.)“. Library Faculty & Staff Publications. Paper 10. https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/lib_pubs/10