The Phaistos Disc

Phaistos Disc

The Phaistos Disc, to this day remains a mystery for most scholars and is undeciphered. To me, it is an example of the complexity of communication and how difficult it can be between future civilizations. I feel that this represents what our forms of communication may look like in the future, simplistic relics that have no clear purpose or the knowledge they have inscribed is not understandable. I know for myself that years of knowledge that I learned from or created when I was younger is no longer readable as it was written in forms that can not be deciphered today (thinking mostly of 8″, 5.25″ and 3.5″ floppy disks). This disc to me represents what could be the future of our present technology as civilizations evolve and change throughout time.

My name is Kenton Hemsing and I am a high school mathematics teacher in Leduc, Alberta. In my free time I coach Volleyball, play soccer and enjoy spending time with my wife and out dog. I hope that through this course I will be able to push my understanding of how we came to be where we are today in technology by examining the past, this my help lend some insight on what to expect as digital communication and text continue to evolve. I look forward to learning with all of you!

1 Response to The Phaistos Disc

1. kstackhouse says:

Great image. I think you might be right. It is interesting to think what data sharing and storage will look like in a few years compared to know. If it has changed so much already will today’s technology seem as archaic as the disc above, the floppy disc, the VHS and so on?