I found this to be a fascinating, albeit somewhat challenging assignment. I don’t consider myself to be even a layperson when it comes to understanding different music from around the world. I certainly don’t think that I would be qualified to choose 10 songs. It’s also important to acknowledge that I come from a background where some of these songs don’t have the same resonance to me. That being said, I decided to choose the songs that spoke to me personally. I can’t make a value decision for our planet, but I can choose the 10 most important tracks for myself.

Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40

I listened to a lot of Bach as a child. My mother in particular purchased Mr. Bach Comes to Call: https://www.amazon.ca/Bach-Comes-Call-CLASSICAL-KIDS/dp/B00000212K, which was a fictional account of Bach visiting a modern house. I think that the melody and counterpoint of this song are so incredibly beautiful. Bach showcases in this composition his ability to write divergent musical lines that are distinctive and yet meld perfectly together.

Bach, The ell-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48

I believe this may be the only composition recorded by a Canadian on this record (please correct me if I am wrong about this). Glenn Gould was an absolutely masterful piano player. I spent a good part of my undergraduate listening to both versions he recorded of the Goldberg Variations. To this day I think that he may be the person who has best been able to bring Bach to life on recording. Listen carefully and you can hear him humming along!

Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55

Mozart was also very present in my household growing up. We didn’t listen to as much opera as instrumental music. This song may be one of the most challenging songs for a female singer. If the goal of this record is to showcase our species, I believe that this song would give aliens a good idea of the capabilities of the human voice.

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35

This song makes me think of watching the original Star Trek series with my Dad (it’s commonly used as the fight music). I love how chaotic it sounds, and the dynamic changes. This is truly exciting music in my opinion.

“Melancholy Blues,” performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05

This song is an excellent example of the musicianship of the jazz age. The clarinet solo is so high in the register and oozes emotion. Louie’s horn playing is expressive and sophisticated. Jazz may be the greatest American invention!

“Johnny B. Goode,” written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38

This song definitely bridged the gap between blues and country music and is indicative of the early rock n’ roll style. I wonder if the version in the YouTube playlist is in fact the one used on the record, as it’s pretty grainy sounding. This may be the only recording on the list that features electric guitar.

“Dark Was the Night,” written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson. 3:15

I like the inclusion of this blues track for several reasons. Blues music came fromĀ  is a connection between ancient African history and the lived experience of Black people in the United States. Blues is foundational to almost all other musical styles that have come afterwards. The slide guitar and the vibrato of Blind Willie Johnson are other-worldly.

Bach, “Gavotte en rondeaux” from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55

Another Bach song, so of course I’m going to want to put this on the list! I think this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The melody and counterpoint are perfect. This song sounds excellent on violin, but is also an amazing guitar song as well.

Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20

One of the most iconic pieces of music ever recorded. Beethoven’s music is majestic in scope and magnitude. This piece goes through so many changes in emotion and feeling all while feeling cohesive. A true masterpiece.

Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37

Another Beethoven song. I don’t think his music is as sophisticated melodically as Bach, but his ability to evoke and convey emotion is second to none. I also very much like the string quartet format.