Link 2

Link 2 – Lexie Tucker’s Task 4 (Potato Printing)

My Task 4 link.

Task 4 – Potato Printing

Lexie’s post appealed to me because I think we addressed it with different mindsets. Lexie is an art teacher and so was able to express the importance of art with respect to communication. How it can be used to share stories or can be read and interpreted, just like a book can. My perspective came more from the idea of how practical things are now when it comes to expressing ourselves. Anytime I need to write anything, I have something on hand like a pen or a phone. Thinking about how time consuming and complicated it was to get something aesthetically pleasing was what stood out to me.

I really enjoyed how Lexie saw this as an opportunity to have fun and express oneself. Lexie’s word was ‘learn’ in colourful, capital letters. My word was ‘smile’ in brown, cursive letters.

Lexie “consciously chose uppercase letters, believing they would be easier since they generally have fewer curves” whereas I consciously chose cursive stamps because I wanted to challenge myself. Lexie seemed comfortable in creating letters backwards in 30 minutes, but I found that rather challenging, using a mirror to help me complete this task in double the time.

I enjoyed Lexie’s reference to how a book is made for circulation, permanence, easy transportation, and used to transfer knowledge physical and into the future (Lamb & McCormick, 2021). With this definition, Lexie stated that whether text or art, a book is a book. Lexie’s stamps could be considered as art, whereas I had just seem my stamps are a means to express a word.

Like Lexie’s stamps, I found the webspace to be particularly pleasing in its simplicity and straightforward navigation. With one button for tasks, one for linking assignments, and one for the final project, I found it incredibly simple to find where things were. I found it quite challenging to find ways to post everything in one place, so I ended up having pages for tasks and posts for tasks.

Lamb, R. & McCormick, J. (Hosts). (2021, May 8). From the vault: Invention of the book, part 1 [Audio podcast episode]. In Stuff To Blow Your Mind. iHeartRadio. https://www.iheart.com/podcast/stuff-to-blow-your-mind-21123915/episode/from-the-vault-invention-of-the-82316952/