Task 4: Manual Scripts

I decided to journal about my week. I’ve had some professional and personal obstacles to address, so I thought it would be good to reflect on them for this task.

Do you normally write by hand or type? Did you find this task difficult or easy? Explain.

I find that I type longer pieces, like papers or assignments and I handwrite shorter entries, like journals or notes to myself. When I was in my undergrad I wrote everything by hand. I found that I was more proficient in writing my notes and exams rather than typing them. Since becoming a teacher, I find that I type more. I type up student activities, staff meeting notes, lecture notes, and student observations. I also seem to have my computer or phone with me to jot down a quick observation or to change an assignment. With so much of my teaching online now, it is much more convenient to type something up and share it online with students or colleagues.

This wasn’t a difficult task to complete, but elements of it were more challenging than I expected. My hand started to fatigue near the end of the first page and I found myself writing quickly to keep up with the thoughts that were forming in my head. 

What did you do when you made a mistake or wanted to change your writing? How did you edit your work? Did your choice of media play a part in how you edited your work?

I made the conscious decision to write in pen because I do not like writing in pencil. I find that my hand smudges the words. As a result of this choice, I couldn’t erase my mistakes.  Therefore when I made a mistake, I just put a line through the word and either wrote the correct work above it or beside it. I chose not to use white out because I feel that when the pages are off white, it is very noticeable that you are correcting a mistake. 

What do you feel is the most significant difference between writing by hand and using mechanized forms of writing? Which do you prefer and why?

For me, the most significant difference between writing by hand and using mechanized forms of writing is the convenience of correcting your work and being able to share it. The YouTube video, Upside Down, Left To Right: A Letterpress Film, illustrates a contemporary perspective on letterpress technology references how thoughtful and methodical you need to be when moving through the letterpress process. There are no quick changes that can be made. That is one main evolution of the process, speed. Nowadays, when you type something you can quickly personalize the text, correct it, make multiple copies, and share it with others.

Reference:

(2021, January 31). Upside Down, Left To Right: A Letterpress Film [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/n6RqWe1bFpM