Task 5: Twine

Right click and open in a new tab.

Exploring Ancient Worlds

I thoroughly enjoyed writing my Twine story. After navigating and orienting myself to Twine, it became more accessible, user friendly, and an entertaining form of hypertext. As I began to plan my story on Twine, it reminded me of the Goosebumps series I read as a kid. I remember certain stories were a ‘choose your own adventure’. At the bottom of certain pages you were given a choice of how you would like to continue the story and a corresponding page number. During the creation of my story, I found myself using both print and digital methods.  In chapter three of his book, Writing space: computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print, Bolter states that hypertext is a genre, including interactive fiction, and is intimately associated with digital technology (2001). Before using technology, I decided to plot out my story on paper. My initial draft pages were full of arrows and circles connecting different elements of my story together. My second draft was done online. As I began to use Twine, I saw it as an “intensification, a hypermediation, of the older print medium” (2001). On paper, I found it challenging to keep track of the interconnectedness of my story. Once it was digital, it was easier for me to keep editing the story. I kept having to revise the beginning so it made sense to be an option for each strain of my story to return to. I found it easy to take conventional prose and program and manipulate it in Twine. It did take me awhile, but I can see myself becoming more and more proficient with it as I use the program more.

Reference:
Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. New York, NY: Routledge.