Ah Ha’s

Glasses

(cc) Photo by hm_matheus via Flickr

Through recent discussion in the secure course forum and the process of completing two assignments, I’ve had separate but related ‘ah ha’ moments.  My new goal is to keep these in the front of my conscious mind with the hope they lead to improved learning in the course and the program.

Ah Ha #1

I have drifted away from a key concept that I learned while completing my BA in Sociology – my perception ‘lens’ is colored by my experiences and if I do not attempt to keep them clean or at least be aware that they are dirty, a type of ethnocentrism or bias can creep into my work.  I don’t think these can be totally eliminated but maybe minimized as I make a more concerted effort.

Ah Ha #2

I’ve noticed that I tend to get off track when completing my assignments.  By that I mean, I start out with the good intention of answering the question or scenario posed, but half way through I notice I gone astray and most likely is due to me getting excited about one aspect which is not the main one.  This often causes a lot of frustration as I need to complete an almost total rewrite and or I’ve wasted time which is in short supply.

This issue is compounded as, unfortunately, my writing mirrors the somewhat fragmented way I talk.  I am pretty notorious for going off on tangents during discussions.  I am hoping my rediscovery of mind mapping during the brainstorm part of the writing process will help me stay focused.

I am an Educator living in Quispamsis, New Brunswick Canada. Currently, I am seconded from my Grade 5 class at Island View School to the position of Educational Support Teacher – Technology in the Southern Anglophone School District. Technology has been a common thread throughout my careers in education and community services. Now I am fortunate to be able to use my enthusiasm for integrating digital technologies into my teaching pedagogy and share those experiences with others in my district.