Focus on Organization within the SECTIONS framework

Task

ipad

(cc) Photo by Sean MacEntee via Flickr

Earlier in this module, we asked you to assess yourself using the NETS guidelines.  Now, we would like you to conduct an initial assessment of the context in which you have experience as a teacher. You can use either Chickering and Gamson’s Seven Principles or Bates and Pooles SECTION model for this analysis: use whichever framework that “speaks to you” more. “Speaks to you” here means whichever framework created a stronger reaction within you.

Choose one or two elements from either framework and briefly describe how your context looks in relation to the questions and issues raised by the framework.  Pick elements that are most meaningful to you (you don’t need to be comprehensive). Some of the elements in the frameworks focus on pedagogical/academic issues and some focus on organizational/environmental issues. Both types of issues have some bearing on the type of success people have in implementing learning technologies.

Response

Overall, I had a stronger reaction to Bates and Poole’s SECTION model as a framework for selecting and using technology.  Although this framework uses higher education, it can be used within other levels such as primary or secondary education.  Specifically, I have chosen to addressed each question from the Organization section of that document.
“Without appropriate organizational support for technology-based teaching, the workload of … teachers become impossible.” (pg. 103)

Context

Recently, Apple products, mainly iPads and iPods, have been gaining popularity and are being requested by schools and teachers.  This is problematic as the education system in New Brunswick almost exclusively uses Microsoft products or those which run its software, operating systems and applications.  Also, organizational decisions regarding technology implementation vary between and within districts and is typically controlled by Information Technology departments and not educators.

What can I do easily myself with a particular technology, and what help will I need?

Once a teacher has an iPad (for ease of reference this includes iPad mini, iPods) purchased by the school they can access the device without issue.  They can create an iTunes account and load the device with free and paid apps.  They will require help if they want access the school’s wifi by placing a Help Desk call and a technician will need to configure the device.  The teacher needs to go through a similar process to access government email and once added will need to enter a password to access the device.

Is the technical help I need already available or likely to be provided within existing resources?

Technical help is dependent on IT technician knowledge for Apple products since that brand is not official on the list of support technology.  Repairs are dependent on product warranties and would be sent off site for repair if needed.  Teachers and possibly Technology Mentors could assist with trouble shooting based on experience or research.

Does the senior management of the institution support this technology, or is it likely to develop an adequate organizational structure to support this form of teaching with technology?

At this point in time it is unclear if these devices will develop an adequate provincial organizational structure to support this form of teaching with technology.  Some districts have moved ahead with these type of devices, creating policy and procedures for purchase and support.  Some schools are purchasing devices in a manner that bypasses IT departments and coordinators.  At times, these devices are being purchased on behalf of the schools by companies based in the community who are involved with particular partnership programs with districts.  It appears that the adoption of this technology is beginning at the classroom and school level and makes one hopeful that this grass roots  style movement will bring about change.  In our district, there are some changes occurring and a process started to examine this technology but more for the purchasing and hardware requirements vs educational value.

Where can I go for help and support in using this technology for teaching?

Educators in New Brunswick have access to Technology Mentors (seconded educators specializing in technology integration) when seeking help and support in using this technology.  However, as with technical support in relation to hardware issues, Technology Mentors do not receive training specific to iPads and the outcomes would be dependent on his/her prior knowledge and experience which may differ greatly within and outside of the district.  Also, educators could access, if present, the technological capital within their own building amongst peers for help and support.
Social media sites like Twitter and Pinterest can be great sources in help and support for using this technology for teaching as well as discussion forums and blogs.  Apple itself runs a program specifically aimed at providing aaccreditations to educators in the use of their products and there are many consumer based help forums and sites to access assistance.

Conclusion

Although Organization is only one of seven interconnected components of the SECTIONS framework it is a fundamental feature when considering a technology.  If the assessment of this section is negative, the outlook for the technology as a whole is jeopardized.  I see Organization as the foundation for the technology in its adoption process and one that is often overlooked.  In the case of iPads in New Brunswick, the lack of cohesive, uniform, clear and current policies and practices pose real barriers to future success.

Article

Additional Resources

Paul, C. (2010, August 18). SECTIONS. Elearning: Toolkit. Retrieved May 21, 2013, from wiki.ubc.ca/images/1/19/SECTIONS_Framework.pdf
SECTIONS. (2009, June 7). Learningspark.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013, from http://www.learningspark.com.au/kevin/issues/sections.htm

I am an Educator living in Quispamsis, New Brunswick Canada. Currently, I am seconded from my Grade 5 class at Island View School to the position of Educational Support Teacher – Technology in the Southern Anglophone School District. Technology has been a common thread throughout my careers in education and community services. Now I am fortunate to be able to use my enthusiasm for integrating digital technologies into my teaching pedagogy and share those experiences with others in my district.

Tagged with: ,