Education and Awards

Throughout my post-secondary education, I have been honoured to receive several awards, both monetary and non-monetary, from a variety of different organizations and institutions.

Some of these awards include:

For a complete listing of awards that I have received, please click Awards

For a complete listing of travel awards that I have received, please click Travel awards

Vancity Youth Leadership Award – Victoria’s Leadership Awards

In 2008, I was honoured to be nominated for, and to receive the Vancity Youth Leadership Award, as part of Victoria, BC’s, Annual Leadership Awards.

Roselynn Verwoord Vancity Youth Leadership Award 2008

Roselynn Verwoord (left) receiving the Vancity Youth Leadership Award from Danella Parks (Community Relations, VanCity) at the 2008 Victoria’s Leadership Awards

To view the press release for this event, please view 2008 Leadership Victoria Award Recipients

To view the published newspaper advertisement for the awards, that profiles both nominees and recipients, please view VLA 2008 Times Colonist Advertisement

I was also commended for this award, in the University of Victoria’s 2008 Annual Review which you can view at 2008 UVic Annual Review and was profiled along with the other award winners (in different categories of Victoria’ Leadership Awards) from the University of Victoria, in the February 2008 issue of The Ring, which is the University of Victoria’s Community Newspaper. To view the article entitled Kudos to Local Heroes by Tara Sharpe, click here.

Youth Now Volunteer Leadership Award – United Way of Greater Victoria

In 2006, I was nominated for and received the United Way of Greater Victoria’s Youth Now Volunteer Leadership Award, which recognizes extraodinary service and leadership by a Victoria youth aged 20-24.

“Roselynn is a UVic student who is active in her university community, volunteering as a UVic tour guide and with UVic Kiwanis K Kids.  She dedicates her time to the Greater Victoria Public Libraries, Victoria Native Friendship Centre, and the Canadian Cancer Society, both at Camp Goodtimes and as a canvasser. Roselynn is a presenter for RespectED Violence and Abuse Prevention Workshops and has volunteered at the Cridge Centre for the Family, Sir James Douglas Elementary School,  Women in Need Society, Mount Saint Mary’s Hospital, BC Special Olympics, and the BC Summer Games”

Gold Level Duke of Edinburgh Award – BC and Yukon Duke of Edinburgh Award Society

In 2009, I completed my Gold Level Duke of Edinburgh Award, after being a participant in the program for 12 years. The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recognizes individual achievement in five different areas including community service, personal skill development, physical recreation, adventurous journey, and residential project. The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award was founded in 1956 by His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh K.G. K.T.  The Award came to Canada in 1963 and currently runs in 126 countries around the world.

Duke of Edinburgh Award Gold Award Presentation

Roselynn Verwoord (left) receiving her Gold Level Duke of Edinburgh Award from HRH Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex at the 2010 BC Gold Level Duke of Edinburgh Award Ceremony in Vancouver, BC, Canada.