Best Works

This page contains the revised writings that I wrote throughout the semester taking ENGL301. Below is the list of the writing assignments that I had this semester. Click the link the access each document.

1. Revised Definition Assignment
    • The purpose of this assignment is to describe a technical term in several different ways to effectively help readers understand the technical term.
    • I have learned the different ways of defining a word such as sentence definition, and parenthesis definition. Also, it was a good opportunity to think from a reader’s perspective.
  2. Revised Peer Review of the Definition Assignment
    • This assignment was to read someone’s writing and apply the writing techniques to give feedback on their writing.
    • I have learned how to write critics detaching the writer from the feedback and only evaluating the contents that the author wrote.
  3. Revised Formal Report Proposal and Progress Report with Surveys
    • The purpose of these two assignments is to practice writing a formal report in a professional environment.
    • I learned valuable skills in writing a formal report. Especially, using a formal and persuasive tone in the report was a good experience for me as I felt I will be able to use the terms and tone in a practical situation in the future while working in Canada.
  4. Revised Proposal Memo
    • This assignment was to write a formal memo to a supervisor or any recipient of my report in a professional environment.
    • I learned how to effectively summarize my report in a way that the reader can easily understand the main points of my proposal.
  5. Revised LinkedIn Best practices memo
    • This assignment was to investigate effective strategies to use LinkedIn to network with people.
    • I have learned effective skills to maximize the benefit of the platform.
  6. Revised Memo to Evan Crisp
    • Learning how to write in ‘you-attitude’ was the main goal of this assignment. You-attitude is to write a document in favor of the reader not the writer.
    • This was not an easy task, but I learned a few useful techniques to make my writings more audience-friendly such as avoiding imperatives and negative expressions.
  7. Revised Complaint letter and Response letter
    • These two writing assignments were to actually practice ‘you-attitude’ by writing two connected letters but with opposite reader and writer(one is a customer who has a complaint and the other is respondent to the complaint).
    • Since the customer and respondent to the complaint letter were in two very different situation. This activity was a good opportunity to practice ‘you-attitude’. Most of all, I learned how to firmly express my argument not hurting someone’s emotion.
  8. Revised Peer Review of a Formal Report
    • Reading a peer’s report draft and giving a feedback was the main task in this assignment.
    • Reading someone’s report that I do not have any expertise was challenging. For this reason, I realized that I had to write my report in more ‘you-attitude’ so that reader who does not have any background knowledge about my topic can properly understand what I want to deliver.