Green light for WiFi?

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/wifi-enabled-vehicles-coming-to-canada/article14536108/

Just when we thought the technological advancement of having WiFi campus-wide at UBC was already amazing, something even more amazing is about to come. Rogers Communication Inc. and Sprint Corp. are teaming up together to introduce a “connected car” wireless service next year. This will allow Canadian drivers to have access to high-speed Internet while they are on the road, as well as “—news, sports scores, weather alerts, driving directions and vehicle diagnostics.” Equipped wireless modems and SIM cards will also be hooked up to each vehicle, making WiFi purchases and “hotspot” zones available. Rogers believes there will be close to 100 million connected cars globally by 2016.

As amazing as this sounds, I have to stop and ask myself if people really need this technology in a car. In my opinion, I believe having WiFi in a vehicle will not only defeat the purpose of a vehicle’s main objective, but will also distract drivers. Driving laws now prohibit the use of cellphones when driving and physically having the cellphone in your hand while you’re behind the wheel is now illegal. It is also proven that distracted driving is the number one cause of deaths. Are companies really putting the lives of the consumers first? Is the government going to step in? I guess we will have to wait and find out!