Biography

My name is Evan Ruiz, and I am a fourth year student at the University of British Columbia, studying Interdisciplinary Studies- Behavioral Marketing and Sales. Initially, I came to the UBC hoping of pursue my academic, as well as athletic goals. After playing on the UBC Rugby team for two years, I decided to focus my time elsewhere. More specifically, I’ve been working to introduce myself into the work force and begin my professional career.

Growing up in California, in the Silicon Valley, I knew that I wanted to end up working in the tech/ SaaS industries. As this long-time goal is becoming more realistic, I want to ensure that, to the best of my ability, I’m prepared. My hopes for this class are to develop more specific, and applicable English skills that will directly translate into a professional environment. Through internship opportunities etc, I am beginning to see the importance of more finite skills. These skills include, but are not limited too, professional communications, media presence, resume, cover letters, correspondence, etc.

With these skills in place, I hope to graduate from the UBC in 2021 and begin my career in sales or marketing in the SaaS industry. I believe that the skills taught in this class will allow me to be more successful in the pursuit of a job and more successful in the role.