My name is Msme 1. Lim. I am a UBC student teacher and I am a part of the Social and Emotional Learning Cohort. I am currently teaching for the Surrey and Delta School Districts. I recently taught science in a Grade 1 and 1/2 split class in Delta and I just completed my short practicum at a school in Surrey. I possess an immense passion for teaching and I absolutely love learning from my students. The following will help you to understand more about my developing beliefs and goals in regards to teaching.

1. Why do you want to be a teacher?

I love teaching. I have wanted to become a professional educator since the first grade and I have always been excited when exploring new ideas, formulating new ways of teaching and learning from my students and colleagues. When I was young girl, I was blessed with wonderful teachers who motivated me to work hard and to see the best in myself and my peers.

It is my deepest desire to inspire my students in the same way. I want to positively contribute to the future of my students by guiding and motivating them to become lifelong learners. I want them to learn about the beauty of curiosity and the art of learning through play, which simultaneously teaches them about independence and their own worth as human beings. It is my dream to be a part of this noble profession in hopes of one day being able to create a safe and nurturing environment for my students so that know that there is someone in this world who genuinely cares about them. I believe that this will work wonders in improving their self-esteem and will further aid in them thriving not only in the classroom but in the world as well.

1. What are your hopes and expectations for the coming year?

My objective as a teacher is to cultivate a learning environment that is welcoming of students from different pedagogical backgrounds through dialogue and creative teaching methods and focuses on each of my students’ individual learning objectives. I believe that if students are provided with the appropriate tools and with mindful personal attention, they will be able to flourish and enjoy their educational experience. While I have discovered ways of individually teaching my students, I want to also learn different practices for classroom management and transitional procedures. In addition, I am interested in learning about how I might be able to incorporate Inquiry into my lessons.

1. Extracurricular Activities and Interests?

I am passionate about music, especially singing. I continue to take private vocal lessons that focus in classical music. I also enjoy reading books about self development and business as it intrigues me. Furthermore, I occasionally volunteer as a private tutor with one of my previous students.

1. Why did you choose the Social and Emotional Learning Cohort?

This year, prior to the commencement of the education program at UBC, I had the privilege of volunteering at a community school in Burnaby. At this school there are many students who come from backgrounds that affect them in negative ways. During my time at this school, a few of the teachers implemented mindfulness as a way of calming students down when they became hyper-active or succumbed to their anxiety. It was wonderful to watch these students learn new coping skills in situations that previously seemed impossible for them to deal with. Over time, these students were more motivated to learn and they began to excel.

Watching these teachers utilize mindfulness in their classrooms, has me extremely excited about Social and Emotional Learning. This dovetails perfectly with my reasons for wanting to become a teacher. I wish to learn the concepts behind Social and Emotional Learning and ways that I can implement it in my own teaching practices. I believe that this will not only help my students grow as individuals and as a classroom community, but it will also help me to be more centered.

1. What are your passions?

I am incredibly passionate about music and singing. I enjoy listening to a variety of genres because I find them all intriguing in different ways. I am currently training as a classical singer, and while it is sometimes a struggle to learn new methods that my body is not used to, it is making me a stronger person. For instance, I have stage fright, but I recently performed my first solo piece at a small recital. My previous experience was required me to sing in group environments in a choir or in musical theatre.

I love drama and theatre. This past spring, I partook in improvisation lessons at Instant Theatre and previously I had worked with a mentor in clowning exercises. I also love traveling. I find it so refreshing to visit new places and to immerse myself in that culture. It also thrills me to visit the places that I learned about in school. My favorite places that I have visited so far are Singapore, England and Scotland. One day, I wish to tour Thailand and to visit my relatives in Australia. Overall, all of these experiences have prepared me well for teaching others about diversity and the different ways that we all interact and learn.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Email: clim@surreyschools.ca