Mar 7 / faizalshivji

The Smell of Spring Training=> and Optimism!

First things first, I’m glad to have my computer back after a long week of repairs.  Seriously, what kind of evil person makes Trojan viruses, ugh.  Dear Trojan maker, if anything happens to you, you don’t have my sympathy.

Second, I know its only Spring Training, but a Blue Jays game was on over the weekend, and I was super psyched to watch it.  Seriously, 5 months without baseball is way too long for any passionate fan to wait; but nonetheless its t-23 days until opening day– can’t wait.

While watching the game, it was a great opportunity to take a look at a bunch of minor league prospects that are deemed to be “our future”.  Most of them looked like they had a solid foundation of talent, but it seemed that there was something more to their game (almost like a value added premium to their skill set).  These players had a tremendous passion for the game, and it definitely showed while they played.

What’s special is that most of these players were not in the Blue Jays organization when  Alex Anthopolous took over as General Manager at the end of the 2009 season (at the time, the Jays also had the 3rd worst minor league system, and in a year and a half, Anthopolous has pushed the Jays to 4th best).  When he took over, Anthopolous’s vision statement for the organization was “to be more athletic and diverse”, and everything he has done since has embodied this strategy.

Clearly, his perception of what it takes to win has influenced the transactions that have taken place within the last year and a half.  Across the league, Anthopolous has been marveled for the work he has done, and is on the way to making the Toronto Blue Jays as noted as they were during their glory days of the early 90’s.

Click here for a complete list of transactions while Anthopolous has been boss (talk about a busy man!).

-Faiz