Blog 3 – Keyword Reflection (Food systems) – Oaxaca

This is not my first food-related class, and it would definitely not be the last one. It was hard for me to choose from all the words that were analyzed, but I decided to talk about “Food systems” as it can encompass all the other terms in one way or another.

I was first introduced to the  Food Systems concept in my first year at university. I mean, I am in the Faculty of Land and FOOD SYSTEMS. You may or may not be surprised to learn that everyone in my faculty must take LFS 100, LFS 250, and LFS 350, classes that teach us about food systems in BC and worldwide.  Dr. William Valley, my professor for two of those classes, challenged my way of thinking. He introduced me to system thinking, wicked problems and to approach food more holistically.

I used to think about food systems as a linear process. However, food systems are everything but linear. The more I study food, the more I realize how complex it can be. Reading the food systems definition, I was surprised to see that waste management was not included. I think that studying food waste is as important as analyzing food production and distribution. Mostly when 35% of our food is being wasted.

I could keep talking about food systems all night long, but instead of stating what I have learned in my previous classes. I started thinking as well about all the things I haven’t yet explore. I grew up in Oaxaca, which is one of the poorest states in Mexico,  one with the highest numbers of Indigenous communities, and known in Mexico for its food. I have known these facts for a long time, but I haven’t taken the time to think about the connection between them. This is not my first food class, but my first Indigenous studies class, and I can’t wait to keep learning.

Picture 1 – Duo de moles – Zandunga, Oaxaca, Mexico

Picture 2 – Quesillo, Chapulines, y emoladas, El Coronita, Oaxaca, Mexico

Picture 3 – Esquite, La Calle, Oaxaca, Mexico

3 Replies to “Blog 3 – Keyword Reflection (Food systems) – Oaxaca”

1. Hi Fernanda! Mole is one of my favorite Mexican foods, so seeing that photo made me SO hungry! I really enjoyed reading your reflection, especially because you chose to write about the word that my group worked on. Thanks for sharing your perspective as an LFS student, as a history major I greatly appreciate your insight 🙂

2. Hi Fernanda!
    I thought it was really interesting how you introduce the idea of food waste as part of the study of food. I think this is a really interesting thing to consider, and something I will admit, had not crossed my mind. I think the concept of food waste is very applicable to Canada, being a first-word country. I also really appreciated the pictures!

3. Those images made my mouth water, they look delicious. I’m also taking LFS250 this year and that class together with this one has made me learn a lot about food systems in just one month. Keep the food pictures coming!