Felicia Firdaus's Blog

Inspiring Greatest Lesson

March 22nd, 2011 · No Comments

This post is for comm 299 assignment :

Today I want to share a little story with you. It is about the greatest lesson that I learned from someone else. Actually, it is not gotten directly by talking to the person himself but through watching a movie which based on his life story. The movie that is “The Gifted Hands”. It tells the story of Dr Ben Carson, a brilliant American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatrics Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

When Dr. Carson was young, he suffered low self-esteem because of his failing grades at school. .He believed that he was stupid and did not have any talents. In addition, he was also depreciated because he is black. However, his loving mother encouragement made him to never give up, studied hard and finally become successful.

Watching the movie, I am inspired as I could relate my experience with him. I frequently thought I did not have any talents and I also always compared myself with other people which then lowered my self-esteem. However, after watching his life story, I realized that dissatisfaction with one’s self brings disappointment. Failure is indeed a part of life and we do not have to regret that. Every successful person also has their failure but then they got back up and study from its mistake. What I learned from him is to put my best effort and be thankful for whatever results that I got. We have to trust in ourselves, and be committed to everything that you do.

Here’s a youtube interview video with Dr Carson. After watching the video, you can tell he is indeed a great person.

Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.