fashion + culture + audacity

by Fidèle Armstrong

It’s not uncommon for clothing and fashion brands to go on creative ad campaigns that wow. But Diesel, the Italian design company, may have struck the wrong chord on an ad featuring a tattooed woman in a burqa with “I AM NOT WHAT I APPEAR TO BE” written right beside the picture, as part of its #DieselReboot ad campaign.

The first time I saw the ad, I went “There we go. Another intentionally provocative ad”. Naturally, I googled it to see how the internet reacted. As one would expect, there were those who reacted with utter disgust (understandably) and others who were on a fence.

Fun fact: Diesel’s creative director, Nicola Formichetti used to be Lady Gaga’s stylist.

So I asked myself: “How did Diesel’s marketing team determine whether the ad would be in its best interests, both now and in the future? How did they determine the nature of the ad’s impact on customers, existing and potential ones alike?” I mean, what would possibly push a design company to take this sort of risk? For one person, the ad screams disrespect and insensitiveness; for another, it is art—a call to see beyond mere appearance.

It’s hard to say how I feel about it. Certainly not indifferent—let’s just say it’s complicated. I pondered on the original intent of the marketing team and what exactly it was that they wanted to convey. Lots of ambiguity for one ad.

Does the ad say something about Diesel’s values and its target market? It sure does. Maybe they are the socially-present, convention-breaking, humanistic company?

One thing is certain: brands are increasingly contributing to conversations with wide social implications – Cheerios ad anyone?