About

SONY DSC
Off Exploring Greenland (2016)

My name is Fiona and I am from the US, speak with a slightly confused British accent, have spent time in over 30 countries and have resided in Vancouver for the past four years, excluding the eight months I lived in Massachusetts and my three months in Uganda.

I recently graduated from the University of British Columbia, where I studied Human Geography and International Relations. I am currently working as a Research Assistant with the Office of Regional and International Community Engagement and am loving my continued exploration of the dynamic intersection between my two fields of study. Paying particular attention to the structures and specialization of socioeconomic and environmental inequalities only feeds my passion for social change and inclusion, as taken up within my volunteer work currently and my former positions of President in the Oxfam UBC club and Student Leader with the International Service Learning program. Everyday, these involvements challenge me to reconsider my preconceptions and own position within our world, feeding into the critical and dedicated approach I always bring with me

I love to bring my local and international experiences to my studies of scale, social change and interactions. This blog highlights just a few of my learning at UBC over the last four years.