How to become an entrepreneur

Being an entrepreneur has never occurred to me. Even as I heard of people accomplishing their dreams and building their own companies as entrepreneurs, I had never thought about doing that myself. And when I got into Sauder, the entrepreneurship option was never an option for me. Maybe it was because I’m not a big fan of risks and straying from the conventional path of university then climbing up the career ladder. Or maybe it’s because I never saw myself like Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates, or Nick Woodman; few of the gleaming elite of entrepreneurs today.

Reading Kristina Walker’s post on Nick Woodman’s success as an entrepreneur reminded me of the class we had when we had three entrepreneurs come in to talk to us about their companies and their plans. Three things important things that I took away from that class were:

1) choose something that makes you get up in the mornings

2) don’t kid yourself- don’t do anything that is not profitable

3) you need to hustle

One of the most memorable things I heard all term was when Paul, the founder of Naked Coconuts, said “I never had something that made me truly happy until this”, or something along the lines of that. I lot of people I know, including myself, don’t feel like they have a career in mind that could make them “truly happy.”

Successful entrepreneurs are successful because they are “truly happy” with and are passionate about their vision. And as Kristina mentioned, they are creative and driven.

Maybe I’ll start looking into that entrepreneurship option now.

Source: https://blogs.ubc.ca/kristinwalker/2014/10/22/going-pro-with-gopro/