About Me

I am a mom and a wife. I have two children. Oliver is ten years old and Hannah is thirteen. Hannah has well developed passions in the areas of dance and softball. Oliver, recently attended French Camp as he hopes to be a politician. If politics does not work out, his back up plan is ventriloquism.

I am also a teacher. I am a teacher in the K-12 public school system and I am privileged to be a sessional instructor for UBC. I teach a math methods course to UBC students.

I am the SD#20 Learning Coordinator. My job as learning coordinator is now full time. I am responsible with the Director of Instruction to provide and enable professional development opportunities and teacher inquiry groups. I help ensure that teachers are resourced and present demo lessons in K – 9 classrooms.

This MET is my second masters. My first was earned through Gonzaga University where I studied curriculum and leadership.

My passion is numeracy. I present workshops themed on student and teacher math anxiety as well as personal strategies and the operations. I present in my district, regionally, and provincially. With the recent changes to pedagogy and math curriculum, I am occasionally hired by other districts on a consulting basis to help with implementation.

I am the woman in the background. The young lady in blue is my daughter Hannah. She has four times been on a district winning math team and three times been the top math student in her grade. I plan, organize and execute an annual District Math Festival that now has 300 + students participate.

Denise Flick
dflick@sd20.bc.ca