Blog 3: Dream Weaving and The Birth of Evil

Hi all,

Prompt: “At the end of this lesson you will find detailed instructions for this assignment. Your task is to take the story that Kings tells about how evil comes into the world — and change the story any way you want as long as the end remains the same: once you have told a story, you can never take it back. So, be careful of the stories you tell, AND the stories you listen to.” – Unit 1, Lesson 1.3

This week, we were responsible for taking Thomas King’s retelling of Leslie Silko’s story of how evil first came into the world.  Silko’s story revolves around Witches, and I was inspired by this mythical aspect of her tale and decided to invent my own type of people, called the Dreamweavers.  I chose to base my story on the ideas of dreams and nightmares because I think they are closely related to stories and are an area that reveal the ways stories can resonate with us on a level past our day to day consciousness.

Here it is:

This tale begins a long, long time ago, when the first humans and animals first came to be and there was no bad or evil in the world.  Among all those roaming the land, there existed in particular, one small magical kind of people who inhabited an unknown island.  These people were known as the Dreamweavers.  Dreamweavers were those that were born with the gift to weave and create the dreams of every living being on earth. Each Dreamweaver family had their own unique and separate ability to weave different types of happy dreams, responsible for weaving the dreams that graced every child, teen, and adult in the world. One family was responsible for weaving dreams of hopes and wishes, one for weaving dreams of laughter, and many others for love, friendship, nurturing, and the list goes on and on.  Now the children of these Dreamweavers were meant to grow up and take over the specific dream skills of their parents, like families of blacksmiths or farmers or merchants that passed on their skill and line of job to their children. Children of each dream weaving family would follow on to fulfill the types of dreams their parents and grandparents wove for many generations before them.

However, there was one mischievous and restless little girl from the land of the Dreamweavers that we must learn about. Her name was Jay, and her parents weaved dreams of candy and lollipops. Now Jay was only at fault in that she was too eager. She was tired of being young and unimportant and waiting her turn because she wanted to start dream weaving now. But Jay’s parents told her there were no other types of dreams left to weave, and she must wait until her parents passed on their type of dreams to her one day.  Jay was fed up with being told she wasn’t ready yet, so she she called a meeting with some of friends and suggested they think up of their own dreams to weave. New and different dreams that hadn’t been thought of yet. They decided to tell some stories to inspire themselves of what kind of new dreams they could create. As the sun set, and the shadows of animals and plants and trees danced in the dimming sunlight, they were inspired by the darkness around them and thought of some of the most evil and dark stories that ever graced the earth.  They thought up stories filled with blood and tainted with violence, greed and disease, lies, and fear.

As the last light of day disappeared over the horizon, Jay began to feel a really bad feeling, a feeling she had never felt before, as if she had been poisoned by the words she had spoken and heard. She nervously said, “Ok, I changed my mind, I feel bad, I don’t want to be the Dreamweavers of these new dreams we thought of. Let’s take back these stories, and go home. But it was too late. For once a story is told, it cannot be pulled back. These stories released these horrible dreams loose into the world, and they became what we today know as the nightmares that terrorize each and every one of us from time to time.  So you have to be careful with the stories you tell.

The End.

After writing this story, I decided to attempt to tell it to both my parents and my boyfriend by heart.  Although I hadn’t spent any time attempting to memorize what I had written, I was surprised by how easily I could remember the setting, details, character names, and various other details.  It was a story I had made up, within a short period of time, and yet it had found its way so snugly into my mind and being.  When my boyfriend asked me to clarify a detail about the main character, I answered quickly and confidently. In many ways, the story had become part of my identity, and I was attached to it.

I think this is indicative of the power of stories, and how they resonate with us and influence us in ways we may not even notice.  It’s easy for us to assume we have the power in choosing the stories we tell and listen to, and thats true to a certain extent.  But I think its worth mentioning that these stories have an equal, often overlooked power over us, and for this reason, they are an indispensable aspect of our lives.

Cherry, Kendra. “Dream Interpretation: What Do Dreams Mean?” About Education. N.p., 2015. Web. 24 May 2015. <http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/p/dream-interpret.htm>

Wilkerson, Richard. “Common Questions About Nightmares.” International Association for the Study of Dreams. N.p. 2013. Web. 25 May 2015. <http://www.asdreams.org/nightma.htm>

9 Thoughts.

1. Hello Freda! I really enjoyed your story.
    I found a few similarities and differences between your story and Silko’s story particularly interesting.
    In both narratives evil is born out of an individual’s own creativity and desire to prove their own individuality. This reminds me somewhat of Satan’s rejection of God in Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’ as Satan is able to embrace his own individuality through separation from God. However, I felt that in Silko’s version, evil was created more out of a sense of competition and one-upmanship than yours. Your story on the other hand seems to have more of a focus on the need to feel validated as an individual in society. Would you agree with that? I am interested in your thoughts on the root feelings/thoughts/pressures/ideas that start out good but begin (by what forces?) to twist into evil. I also find it very interesting that in both accounts evil is born out of a kind of innocent ignorance as neither woman is aware of what the consequences of her actions will be.

• Hi Gretta!

Thanks for reading my story! And yes, I must agree, now that you pointed it out, there are threads in both my story and Silko’s that are reminiscent of Paradise Lost, one of my favourite pieces of John Milton. I think stories and the struggle to find one own’s individuality are closely integrated, and that is probably why it seems like such a common theme. To be able to tell one own’s story is to be able to solidify an identity and find one’s place in the world.
      I would also suggest that the sense of evil being born out of this initial, more innocent type of ignorance that you mentioned is related to the power and role of stories that is often underestimated. Both the Witch in Silko’s story and Jay, the young Dreamweaver in my story both underestimate the power of stories, and do not realize they cannot take it back once it has been released into the world.

2. Hey Freda!

What a creative and entertaining story! I like the idea of your Dreamweavers and the corruption beginning with that of an innocent child, whose motives in themself were not ill-intended.
    I also really appreciate how you summarized your story-telling as being a reiteration of your interpretation! It brings about the point that situations and events are ingrained in our memory, no matter the size, based on how we remember them- reiterating the importance of perspective!
    In my own blog post I did state that greed is the root of all evil and that many other ‘sins’ stem from greed as well! From your point of view, which of the ‘seven deadly sins’ would you choose as the root of evil?

• Thanks for your comment Debra! I would have to agree with you that greed is a very convincing choice as the sin that is most responsible for the root of evil. Other sins, like sloth or gluttony, seem to be more indicative of behaviour that affects oneself, whereas greed can force one to negatively act and influence the lives of others, which I would see as a true example of evil.

3. Hi Freda,

I really enjoyed how creative your story was. The connection you made between stories and dreams was interesting. The article that you linked “Dream Interpretation: What do Dreams Mean?” discussed how Freud believed that “the manifest content of a dream,(…) served to disguise the latent content, or the unconscious wishes of the dreamer”. This idea of wish fulfillment can also be seen as a product of gossip. It is a storytelling technique which has a touch of truth while allowing people to reveal their actual feelings and desires providing emotional catharsis much like dreams. We use gossip to discuss how other people are doing as a disguise to really judge how we are doing personally or career wise etc. Furthermore, gossip allows us to talk badly about someone without having to repress guilt, much like how dreams allow the unconscious to freely resolve conflict.

Why we gossip: http://www.psmag.com/books-and-culture/gossip-really-whisper-rumors-93025