Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Last updated on January 20, 2023

Program Timeline

What is the MBA full-time program start date?
Your program officially begins on August 28, 2023 with Opening Week. Attendance is mandatory.

Course Attendance

Q: How much of a course can I miss?

You can miss up to 20% of the total scheduled class hours for a course. Since the FT MBA courses are condensed, this means only 4 hours of instruction can be missed before a student may be required to withdraw. If you do not have academic concession, the instructor is not obliged to provide any information on material missed. Check out the UBC "Professionalism, Attendance & Behaviour" policy for additional information and UBC's policy on "Academic Concession."

Q: What is an "academic concession" vs. just an "absence"?

An academic concession is something you must apply for in the event that you experience unanticipated events or circumstances that interfere with your ability to accomplish academic work. Examples of possible academic concessions are religious observances, medical circumstances, death in the family or a traumatic occurrence.

If academic concession is granted, students may receive help from the RHL Graduate Programs office and instructors to help them navigate their circumstances.

In cases of absence without academic concession being granted, due dates for assignments remain unchanged and instructors may deduct participation points for missed classes.

Q: How do I apply for an "academic concession"?

If you think your situation falls within the regulations, you can make a request for academic concession by submitting the Academic Concession Request & Declaration Form available here.

Q: Can I miss class to attend a job interview?

Attending a job interview does not fall under academic concession and would be an unexcused absence. We suggest first trying to re-schedule the job interview. Many employers understand conflicts between school and interviews and will accommodate a change. If you try and are not successful in moving the interview, contact askmba@sauder.ubc.ca.

Covid-19 Information

Where can I find up to date information on UBC Covid-19 response?
UBC's Covid-19 response and FAQs can be found here: https://covid19.ubc.ca/

Where can I find Back to Campus information for Sauder?
The information is found on Back to Campus Website, it is updated with new information as it becomes available to us.

Where can I find information on arrival in Canada and quarantine ?
For information on travelling to Canada during Covid-19, please see: https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival.html

You can also see UBC housing self-isolation support information here: https://www.housing.ubc.ca/self-isolate/vancouver/

Where can I find Covid-19 information for UBC International Students?
You can see International Students Immigration and Health Insurance FAQ on COVID-19 in the UBC International Student Guide.

Where can I find resources and information on Covid-19 Vaccinations in British Columbia?
All British Columbians are urged to receive their first shot as soon as they are eligible and as soon as one is available for them.

Anyone living in BC, including international students, are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Information on how to get vaccinated for COVID-19 in BC can be found at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html

If you receive a first dose of COVID vaccine outside of BC (abroad or in another Canadian province), and plan to receive the second dose in Vancouver, please bring a copy of your immunization record with you so health authorities here know what vaccine you received when you are immunized in Vancouver. It should include your name, date, product name and lot number.

Deferral Requests

Can I defer my program start date to the August 2024 intake?
Students can make a request to deferral their program for one year, one time only.

If a student has already deferred once, can they defer again?
No. As mentioned above, students can request a deferral of their program one time only.

What is the process for initiating a deferral request?
Please send your request to Ning Liu, Manager, Recruitment & Admissions Operations at ning.liu@sauder.ubc.ca and CC mba@sauder.ubc.ca
In your request you will need to provide a rationale for seeking the deferral and how the additional time  will allow you to successfully prepare for your program start.

When is the deadline for initiating a deferral request?
The last day to submit a request for deferral is April 11, 2023.

Note: We will reserve a maximum of 15% of class capacity for deferrals. As there is a limited number of deferral opportunities, they will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Scholarships do not automatically transfer with deferrals, but the Admissions Committee will review all deferred students for scholarship opportunities next fall.

Will I keep my entrance award / scholarship if I choose to defer my program start?
Entrance Scholarships are only valid for the program start year that they were assigned and cannot be deferred. You will be reconsidered for an entrance award / scholarship once we begin offering these to the August 2022 intake.

If I defer my program start, will I get my program deposit be refunded?
No. If your deferral request is approved, you will be asked to pay an additional deferral deposit of $2,500 CAD by February 2023 in order to confirm your seat for August 2023. The cumulative $7,500 ($2,500 deferral deposit + $5,000 initial deposit) amount will be applied to your first tuition instalment in September 2023.

Required and Supporting Documents

If I have outstanding conditions on my offer letter, will I be issued a new one?
After original transcripts are received, a new letter can be issued to the student. The Recruitment and Admissions Team will be able to support students with this at mba@sauder.ubc.ca

Where can students get a Proof of Enrolment Letter with the correct dates?
Please send your request to askmba@sauder.ubc.ca if you need a proof of enrolment letter to support financial aid or housing applications.

Study Permit, Co-op Work Permit & PGWP

You may find more information on this page.

Does Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recommend travel to Canada?
The policy of international travel may vary. To assist you, UBC has put together an online guide that can help you determine if you may be eligible to travel to and enter Canada. We encourage you to walk through all steps contained in our comprehensive guide: https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada

If you meet the criteria for travel to Canada, you must still be admitted by a Canadian Border Services Officer at the point of entry (Airport or land border crossing). An officer must assess if your entry is essential due to hardship in accessing online coursework (limitations of bandwidth/speed or time zone challenges) or a requirement to be on campus.

We further encourage you to bookmark and return to this guide regularly as Immigration policy is changing quickly.

I did not apply for my Co-op work permit at the time I applied for my study permit. Can I apply for it later?

Yes, you can apply for your co-op permit separately but only if you are IN Canada. You can’t submit a co-op work permit application separately from your study permit application if you’re applying from outside Canada.

Do I need any documents from UBC to submit my Co-op work permit application?

Yes, you need to submit a letter issued by UBC confirming that internship is part of your academic program. You might have already received this letter. If you have not received it or are unable to locate it, please reach out to askmba@sauder.ubc.ca with your request.

Is there a tutorial or guide that can walk me through the application process?

Yes, there are a few resources available to you:

Tuition, Student Fees, and Financial Support

Will tuition instalment due dates change?
Your tuition will be divided into four equal instalments which are due on the timeline below. The exact amount of tuition and student-levied fees as well as payment deadline will appear on the UBC Student Service Centre (SSC) prior to each month that tuition is due.

Dates Domestic Students International Students
September 2023 $12,854.25 + student fees $22,514.25 + student fees
January 2024 $12,854.25 + student fees $22,514.25 + student fees
May  2024 $12,854.25 + student fees $22,514.25 + student fees
September 2024 $12,854.25 + student fees $22,514.25 + student fees

The $5,000 CAD MBA Program deposit that you paid to accept your offer of admission to the UBC MBA will be credited toward your first tuition instalment (September 2023).

How can I pay my tuition?
Please visit UBC Tuition Payment Webpage to learn about available tuition payment options and instructions. Tuition at UBC can only be paid through the options listed on this page. UBC does not accept wire transfer for tuition payments.  Any payments made to UBC through wire transfer (with the exception of the $5,000 Program Deposit at the time of admission) will be returned to the sender, which may result in delays and losses on conversion rates for the student.

Housing

Where can I find additional information on UBC Student Housing?

You may find more details about housing here.