E[race]ing Past Prejudice

Question: In this lesson I say that it should be clear that the discourse on nationalism is also about ethnicity and ideologies of “race.” If you trace the historical overview of nationalism in Canada in the CanLit guide, you will find many examples of state legislation and policies that excluded and discriminated against certain peoples based on ideas about racial inferiority and capacities to assimilate. – and in turn, state legislation and policies that worked to try to rectify early policies of exclusion and racial discrimination. As the guide points out, the nation is an imagined community, whereas the state is a “governed group of people.” For this blog assignment, I would like you to research and summarize one of the state or governing activities, such as The Royal Proclamation 1763, the Indian Act 1876, Immigration Act 1910, or the Multiculturalism Act 1989 – you choose the legislation or policy or commission you find most interesting. Write a blog about your findings and in your conclusion comment on whether or not your findings support Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility.

First, it is important to know what Daniel Coleman argues re: project of white civility. He asserts that the idea of whiteness in Canada has been heavily influenced by Britishness. Erika Paterson explains this best, saying “This British whiteness is, Coleman says, a “fictive ethnicity,” that “still occupies the position of normalcy and privilege in Canada” (7). “Fictive ethnicity” describes, “how nations of diverse peoples are represented, both in the past and future, as if they are a “natural community” (7)”.

I will be examining a recent piece of legislature: The Canadian Multiculturalism Act of 1988. Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau was the leader who promised a policy respecting multiple cultures in Canada. It took over 10 years to become an act, and therefore a part of our Canadian law. The Act itself asserted two major principles:

1. All citizens are equal and have the freedom to their own cultural heritage by preserving it, enhancing it, and sharing it with other.
  2. Multiculturalism promotes participation of citizens and their communities in all aspects of Canadian society.

It also solidified that English and French are the official languages of Canada, as per the Official Languages Act, but was clear that this “neither abrogates nor derogates from any rights or privileges acquired or enjoyed with respect to any other language” (preamble); in fact, it is meant to “preserve and enhance the use of languages other than English and French, while strengthening the status and use of the official languages of Canada” (preamble). It also maintains equality in the work force: “ensure that Canadians of all origins have an equal opportunity to obtain employment and advancement in those institutions” (3.2.a).

There are a few lines that seem to indicate that there was once a time when Canada was not as accepting. I found the most telling to be the following: “collect statistical data in order to enable the development of policies, programs and practices that are sensitive and responsive to the multicultural reality of Canada” (3.2.d). The use of “multicultural reality” allows us to imagine a time when people were blind to the reality that there are people in our beautiful country that celebrate other holidays, enjoy different foods, have different mannerisms etc. Or perhaps even a time when people recognized that there are people who do things in a different manner, but didn’t appreciate that. Even in Vancouver, I feel this tension. There are people that love celebrations like Holi, and others that don’t see the value in the celebration. Some people of different ethnicities and cultures participate in other’s celebrations. I myself have been to Lunar New Year, but I was born here in Port Coquitlam and am French-Canadian, Ukrainian and Scottish. I go and participate, allowing myself to be a part of the fictive ethnicity Coleman talks about. I do not conform simply to the stereotypical Canadian culture (I like neither hockey nor maple syrup), but I also do not identify with my Scottish, French-Canadian and Ukrainian heritage, as I am adopted. I have to create my culture from what I have been exposed to, creating a fictive culture.

Works Cited:

Canadian Multiculturalism Act. Consolidated Acts, c.4. Canada. Department of Justice. 1988. Department of Justice. Web. 9 Mar 2015.

Paterson, Erika. “Lesson 3.1.”  ENGL 470A Canadian Studies: Canadian Literary Genres – 99C Jan 2015UBC Blogs. Web. 9 Feb 2015.

Sidhu, Amol.”Holi @ UBC.” Online Video Clip. Youtube. Youtube, 31 Mar 2013. Web. 9 Mar 2015.

2 Comments

1. Hi Caitlin –
    Thanks for providing such a great read!
    I think your discussion of the “multicultural reality” of Canada is very important. Indeed, in the past, Canada was a place where people were often blind to the diversity in its population. I think, also, that you bringing up the tensions that still exist is very important. It’s great that you participate in the diverse celebrations that Canada’s range of cultures have to offer – there is so much to be learned through participation in these events, and so much cultural difference to be preserved. Some may disagree with me on this, but I think the preservation of unique cultural differences is important to Canadian multiculturalism; lest we wish to become more of a “melting pot” than a mosaic. I think Canada still has a long way to go in its multiculturalism, but embracing celebrations such as Holi is a good place to start, and reflects acceptance, as opposed to tolerance of its diverse landscape.

Anyway –
    Thanks again for a great read!

1. Hi Shamina,

Thanks for your comments! I definitely agree that when we preserve the multicultural aspects of Canada we are preserving our mosaic identity. I agree that we do have a long way to go, but the only way we can do that is by having people from other cultures introduce us to their culture. Otherwise, it may be seen as appropriation.

Thanks,
      Caitlin